Diving recommendations from (Cayman) Brac Reef Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dupe

New
Reaction score
Boy this is a great site. I though why not ask my fellow divers some advice… I’m soon headed to the Brac Reef Resort for a week. We have opted to forgo the package meal and dive plans. When we arrive we’ll purchase an order of food and pay for dives individually. We do also want to explore the island. From what I hear it’s unanimous that the diving is superior at Little Cayman. So here is what I’m looking to do… 1, optimize my chances to dive off little Cayman and 2, avoid overcrowded diving boats as much as possible. Any suggestions? Is Brac Aquatic still in business? Is it better just to go with Reef Divers? Do you know of other companies which may cater to smaller groups or custom trips?

I’d really appreciate any comments from someone with experience.
Thanks,
Dupe

Dupe:
Boy this is a great site. I though why not ask my fellow divers some advice… I’m soon headed to the Brac Reef Resort for a week. We have opted to forgo the package meal and dive plans. When we arrive we’ll purchase an order of food and pay for dives individually. We do also want to explore the island. From what I hear it’s unanimous that the diving is superior at Little Cayman. So here is what I’m looking to do… 1, optimize my chances to dive off little Cayman and 2, avoid overcrowded diving boats as much as possible. Any suggestions? Is Brac Aquatic still in business? Is it better just to go with Reef Divers? Do you know of other companies which may cater to smaller groups or custom trips?

I’d really appreciate any comments from someone with experience.
Thanks,
Dupe

You might want to take some kind of food plan, there aren't many restaurants on the island and to get to them you would certainly need a car. Even if you get to the restaurants it may not be cheaper. The grocery store is about four miles away. You can walk to the Divi but the food is the same price "expensive". I think Reef Divers only goes to LC once a week. the . There are not a bunch of ops like on GC., on GC there are many, on the Brac and LC virtually none, only dedicated dive resorts. It is quiet on the Brac except for the morning jet.
I have dove more often with the Divi DMs, if you have a group you can get your own boat and they will let you dictate where you are diving. If you do choose LC then the price goes up about $35 more per trip ea. although one day on LC is included.
The diving is a step up at LC but the diving on the Brac is excellent and you will not be dissapointed.

Dive Saafe,
Caymaniac :crafty:

I too would suggest you reconsider getting a meal plan - the groceries available in the store are limited in availability and variety. We took the package at Brac Reef in summer 2000 and really enjoyed it - Liesel and Marty run a great shop, food is good (a bit more European menu than at LCBR), and the morning jet is the only and therefore most annoying thing - but hey, if you came in on it (as we did), the jet noise is part of the price of getting there. Brac Reef did take us to LC and LCBR one day during our week stay. We rented a car one day (our last day before flying out), and drove all over the Brac in an afternoon. Take your UW backup lights (we use UK MiniQ40's) on your trip about the island for the caves. You can encounter problems having a rental car available - there were only 3 on the island, and there was a local funeral, so we had to wait until one of the rental cars was returned from that occasion.

We did LCBR in 2003 and liked it as well - LC was more to our tastes but we're real 'loners' - and our diving on LC was with CCD, as top-notch as they come. CCD did not go to The Brac for the Tibbets wreck dive (fine with us, we'd been there), but I think that's offered once a week from the boats run by LCBR. A reciprocal trip for the Brac Reef trip to LC, in a way.

nipi:
Try Shelby Scott on 345 948 0535. He might take you over to LCM on his boat.[/QUOTE

Went to the Brac last Fall, but dove LC most of the time. Also used Shelby. You cannot help but like him, but you must beware. Make sure (really sure) you agree on a price before hand. His boat is a 23 footer and his engines could use some work. Sometimes I wondered if we would make it back, but we always did. Also, Shelby does not dive and does not really know the sites underwater. We used a dive master named Bunny. Really need a dive master to see the good tunnels etc. Excellent guy and Shelby knowes how to reach him. Again, be carefull about price.

Some of the best diving I have ever had. Wonderful vacation.

Shelby always changes the price half way through the trip. Or tries to!

Maybe it's too late, but I think if your goal is to dive LC as much as possible, it makes much more sense to stay on LC. I've only dove a little on Brac and it seems nice too, but was always running into people there who were trying to get to LC!

Back
Top Bottom