utila whale shark trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
Hi. I'm planning a trip to Roatan and Utila and was wondering if anyone has done any of the whale shark trips in Utila. From what I hear its a 50/50 chance to see one during the season. Anyone had any sucessful trips? I heard there is a 55 footer named "old tom" that frequents the area. Anyone seen him? Any other Utila info. would be helpful too. I'm planning to stay at the Utila dive center... $399 for 7 nights, w/6 days 2 tank dives! =)

Hi

I was in Roatan and Utila (one week in each island) in August and I haven't seen any whale shark, despite having searched for them during two afternoons.
I've stayed at Utila Lodge and dived with BICD. Diving is nice and a lot similar to Roatan. Try to dive as much as possible in the north side of the island
You've got a great price for that week - go for it!

Cheers

Sue

Was in Utila in April. dove with BICD and UDC... Highly HIGHLY recommend diving with Bay Island College of Diving. All dive costs are set by the island government, so no matter where you dive you will pay the same price.
But... some of the less expensive places to stay are even cheaper if you dive at thier dive shop (ie, $3.50 instead of $5.00 a night for a room) You make the call if better gear, better staff, better boats, and better feeling of safety are worth it moentarily to you. They were to me, I dove at BICD.

so moving on... Both BICD and UDC have EANx, although the day i dove at UDC, they mixed my tanks about 2 min before we got on the boat... i wasn't too cool with that... Both have a PADI course director on staff (if that's important.) and they are the only 2 on the island (well, were when i was there)

north side is where the whale sharks are, boats really only run northside in the morning. I did see a whale shark when I was there, but from everyone i talked to, that week we were the only boat to see one...

Have fun!

One of the nature specials filmed near Utila mentioned that the full moon was a good time to find schools of fish breeding and that these schools attracted whalesharks.

A little more research shows that Mar and Apr are supposed to be the best for seeing the big beasties in those waters.

Hence, I'm planning a solo trip to Utila next March. There's a full moon 3/18 and I figure being there a couple days before and after would be the best chance to see a 40' fish. Anyone else wanna go?

What do you think?
Terry

Hey H30,
I did a dive package with Utila Dive Centre/Mango Inn February 01 & was successful in swimming with a whale shark! One of their captains is known to have a good eye for spotting them. He later told me the secret is to look for a swarm of seagulls. (who knew?) Have a great time & good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom