other things to do in Honduras(mainland,roatan,&utila)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
Hi. I'm planning a trip to Roatan and Utila and wanted to get some info. on other things to do there besides diving. I saw a really great package at $1050 for all meals, 2 weeks w/diving, 1 at Coco View and 1 week at Utila Lodge INCLUDING AIRFARE from Houstin!

What else is there do to on Roatan and Utila as far as land activities? I'm thinking about spending maybe 3 days on the Honduras mainland but have heard so many stories of robbery and rape. Is it really that bad? What is there to do at night on Roatan & Utila? Oh, are their ferrys that go from
Roatan to Utila and back?

You should be careful on the mainland. I assume, based on your package, that you're going through Roatan Charter. Talk to them. They can fix you up with a trip to the Copan ruins, a whitewater rafting trip, a trip to Pico Bonito park. Ask them for their free honduras "things to do" booklet.

I don't know of a ferry running between Roatan and Utila.

The stories of rape and robbery generally come from San Pedro Sula and Comayagua (sister city to Teguz). It's like any big city. Go to the wrong places and, well, you know, s**t happens.

That package price is per week if I remember right. If that is for both weeks let me know how you got it and I'll book through them as well.. hehehe...

:confused: you're right! i went back to the website and saw "per week". damnit. oh well, i guess I'll just have to change my plans to budget on Utila. I still want to stay at cocoview though... thanks for letting me know! here i was thinking it was for both weeks... :rolleyes:

here is the link where i saw the special:
http://www.roatan.com/rates/Honduras/UTL_rates.htm

When you go to CoCoView, here's some activities I've written up for Roatan visitors:

"For side trips: White water rafting at LaCieba, Mayan ruins at Copan, black Caribe village a Garifuna, Rick's American Cafe overlooking the rain forest, & AKR dolphin experience. Pretty wild partying at West End Beach & Bolongo's near French Harbour. Also good at Mexican atop the mountain & run by an ex-pat named Ruth (retired military).

Topside, check out the bird sanctuary in Sandy Bay. The Iguana Farm is neat also- make sure you go here at lunchtime so you can see the big guys come out of the trees. I'd also suggest taking a mangrove tour. You'll get in an outboard powered cayuga (dugout canoe) and see some unique marine life-including the mangrove crabs and caiman if you're lucky. If you like kayaking, you can kayak all along the inside of the reef which is very pretty. Carambola Gardens, a botanical park, has some very pretty trails. If you skip the mangrove boat ride, you can see a neat mangrove park down by the east end of the island. Track down Doc Radowski (Doc's Dive Shop) and if he's still compos mentis let him tell you all about the mangroves and the reefs. He runs ecology classes which are well worth the time. Hiking is great all over the island, but if you are up for a day trip to Barbaret, that is well worth it! beautiful beaches, lots of scenic views, a neat hike and a pretty snorkeling.

For good food with a nice atmosphere, try Tres Flores, Gios and Romeos. Or for more casual food, go to West End which has lots of neat restaurants, bars and shops. Fosters is always a favorite for a beer and the sunset. If you are craving American-style food, the new place on the island is the Daily Grind. They have great coffee, snacks and food. If you are complete desperate for an American experience, there is a Bojangles (whoopie-doo).

It's lots of fun to take a bar/backporch tour of the island- go to the resorts and have a drink while enjoying the sights. You can work your way around the island and see some of the best scenic spots. Make sure you get down to the east end. The scenery there is very dramatic. If you ask Donna and Andy (your hosts) to set up a tour, I'd suggest using Joel James (JJ Service). He's got nice a/c vans. Ask for a bilingual driver and you'll get lots of stories about the island. Joel is a really nice guy- ask if he is available to take you around."

Also might find this helpful. It's an edited version of my "Ask RSD" column in the Oct '99 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving:"

"Sand fleas & mosquitoes can be a real bother, not to mention that they are sources of some serious tropical diseases.

The danger & bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions: (1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding dark or bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin; (2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows; (3) Wear insect repellent. The best protection against these and other insects is full strength DEET. Some divers like Cactus Juice, a less toxic product than DEET; (4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (5) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish. You can touch up with spray after that as needed."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I highly recommend that you make it to Romeo's for at least one meal while you are on Roatan. It is an italian seafood resturant that is better than most I have been to in the states.

We spent our final surface interval day when we were there in January by just renting a truck and driving around the island. Actually check out my profile pic, it is at one of the scenic overlooks.

Plenty of beautiful landscape and sightseeing for a whole day just driving around the island. Our Dive Master lived in Punta Gordo and since it was his day off, he invited us to the villiage to meet his family. It was an fantastic experience to witness villiage life. We watched his kids climb around in the mangroves while we sat on the front porch and drank soda out of plastic baggies with straws. Glass bottles are returnable for money so they don't let them out of the house.

The native people of Roatan are fantastic and I felt perfectly safe the entire time we were there!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Doc V -

Curious you should mention Doc Radowski. Last time I was in Roatan, we were diving at Mary's Place and I commented that, many years back, Doc had taken me there. At that time, if my fuzzy memory serves me, Doc had laid claim to discovering the site and naming it after his wife. The new generation of DMs claim that it was someone else that found it, but also indicated no knowledge of Doc. Can you validate any of these fuzzy memories?

You've stumped me there, Old Pippin, but I'll definitely research it on my next trip.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

In response to your follow up questions:

Yes, mainland Honduras has some rough areas, but if you use common travel sense you should not fear to see the popular ruins.

Last I was there, there was a ferry from Roatan to Utila. Makes the trip daily from Roatan (leaves early, I think around 6-7AM), stops at LaCeiba on the mainland coast, then on to Utila. Takes most of the day, but is real cheap & and a mini-adventure.

Hopping from one island to the other by plane is tricky scheduling-wise. There are no direct flights; you have to go from Roatan to LaCeiba, then to Utila. But there are only a few flights to Utila every day, and when we were there last, the flights to Utila left early in the AM. May to spend a night in Laceiba. Going from Utila to Roatan is simpler. Same thing re no direct flight but there are plenty of flights from Laceiba to Roatan so you don't have the scheduling problems.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom