Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Any good diving in Panama??

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Any good diving in Panama??

I'm going to panama in Feb. and will be staying at the Royal Decameron Beach resort. It is on the south side (pacifac) about 2 1/2 hours from Panama city. I am having a hard time finding out much about diving in Panama and so I am thinking maybe the sport is just in it's infancy there. I've read the thread about Coiba island and that certainly didn't sound promising!! Maybe I should count on just take my mask and snorkel!! deb

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Yes. I have not been to the Panama N. side (Caribbean) but can recommend the diving at Isla Coiba in the Pacific. See May 2007 UNDERCURRENT feature story for a detailed report. Be aware that conditions (currents and viz) can be variable. Quantity of sea life larger than in Caribbean, and interesting if you usually dive the Caribbean to see all the cousins of your reef friends.

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Ya, Coiba is where its at in Panama. I dove out of Bocas del Toro and Portabelo last year. Both were ok, but not great. The history at Portabelo made it pretty interesting. The currents and lack of vis in some spots made it challenging but it was good. I really wish I had made it to Coiba.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

re: Coiba Island

So Coiba Island is worth while?? I'll be with two new divers. What experience level is needed? Can you recommend a good dive operation to rent gear from? thanks, debbie

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    There is only one operator at Santa Catalina, Herbie Sunk's Scuba Coiba. scuba diving in Coiba in Panama - bucear en Coiba en Panamá - tauchen in Coiba in Panama. The undercurrent article is posted at that website. Recommend you read it, will answer your question about diving experience. As for new divers, maybe not a good choice. If conditions are very good when you are there, fine. But if not, not a good choice.

Registered

Carrabelle, Florida

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I went diving in Bocas del Toro (Caribbean side) in December and was very impressed. The fish life wasn't great (probably overfished by the indigenous Indians), but the reefs were gorgeous and the non-fish critters were prolific. I've dived throughout the Caribbean but have never seen feather duster worms as big as in Bocas (they're freaks of nature). Huge assortment of plate corals, gazillions of brittle stars, lots of octopus & eels made for some great dives. Viz was only about 50 feet (most dives) but December is apparently part of one of their two rainy seasons so there was sediment that washed into the ocean.
    Cappyjon431

Dive Safety Officer, Florida State University Coastal and Marine Lab

"You can't run from the wind. you trim your sails, face the music, and just keep going."

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    I just came back from Panama yesterday, and I dove on Saturday in Portobello (Caribbean side). Did a reef dive and a bit of a wreck dive (crashed plane). Wildlife was disappointing, but overall were pretty good dives.

Dove with Scuba Panama (who owns an island in Portobello, warning though... its a looong bus ride up there.