Has anyone been diving in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasonrandlett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am heading to Panama City, Panama with my girlfriend, and we are hoping to do some diving, if anyone has been to Panama and has any recommendations on lodging, or scuba shops, dive sites, etc... PLEASE let me know.

If you want to go to Bocas Del Toro, Bocas Water Sports (owner Chip Picard) runs an ok operation. Very laid back area. Diving is just alright. If you like macro, it's great for that, but no deep diving and no big critters.

Jose Saenz is a good contact in Panama for airport pickup/car/hotel/etc.

PM me if you want/need any more info.

I have not dived in Panama, although I am planning a trip soon with my wife to dive over there. For what I have found the best two options are Portobelo/Nombre de Dios in the Atlantic or the pacific side. I am going to call a couple of friends down there to get more "local scoop" on maybe less frequented sites.

bye
ivan

Panama is known to have nutrient rich waters on the Pacific side, very similar to what Costa Rica and Coco's Island offers. Mantas, MASSIVE schools of cow-nosed rays (like 100-300). Have you seen the Blue Planet dvd's by BBC? There is a section on Panama waters. If it is anything like Costa Rica's pacific side, don't expect nice coral gardens and lots of reef fish, but do expect big stuff that feed off plankton. And the viz isn't too great, but I guess that's what you give to swim with plankton feeders. I have no idea how the Carribean side of Panama is, but I'm sure it has a lot more to offer if you're looking for coral reef diving.

ivansie once bubbled...
I have heard the liveaboard for Coiba is very good...

bye
ivan

Unless my memory has failed again, I think I recall that the Coiba operation was absorbed into yhat of the Coral Star.

the coiba liveaboard is definitely gone. to my knowledge the only liveaboard that is presently operating is the coral star (see my earlier inquiry on the board).
i have not heard anything great about land based diving in panama. does not seem to be worth it for the diving alone.

I lived in Panama for two years in the early 1970's and that is where I firsted dove. I was on the Atlantic side and dove off the Chagras River and Portabello also in fresh water of Lake Gutun. Then there wasn't a dive industry so I can't help you there, but the Atlantic side had reefs, lots of fish, and lots of sharks. I guess if I had a choice Panama wouldn't be top on my list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom