Honduras Bay Islands Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wally_lamma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just came back from Guanaja Honduras. Guanaja is the last Island in the chain off of the Honduras coast.
They have been get huge amounts of rain and particulate is heavy in the water making vis poor to really bad. Also looks like the storms are still rolling in about every second day making it very hard to get in and out by aircraft. The primary hop point (la Ceiba) has been closed 4 out of 7 days making it very hard to get in or leave. You should also note that the excess rain has helped create an excessive bug population so extra bug repellent should be taken on a planned trip.. I spoke with several folks who have friends that are DM's in the Roatan area and the vis issue is also problem but is not as bad as Guanaja.. Also talked to Videographer who was in Utila and he said there were several days that the runoff was so bad that they did not even get in the water..

owever I did have several dives that the vis was good but they were in the 60-100ft depth next to outer reef wall and we did see several Eagle rays. Several of te locals told me that they have see a small hammer head feeding in the shallows but we did not have any success finding it durring our dives..

Also note for anyone going to the BAYMAN lodge on Guanaja. Don't go they have been closed for several months but are/were still taking money and not delivering.. As far as I can determine Posada Del Sol and End of the World are functional as are one or two, small guest houses.

:eek: :eek:

Regards

Thanks for the trip report, sounds like a bad time of year to visit the bay islands. Weather is everyithing on a dive trip. I had a Similar experiance to Bimini, wet and cold. After that I do weather reserch, but sometimes you just can't predict weather.

Mike

mlove once bubbled...
Thanks for the trip report, sounds like a bad time of year to visit the bay islands. Weather is everyithing on a dive trip. I had a Similar experiance to Bimini, wet and cold. After that I do weather reserch, but sometimes you just can't predict weather.

Mike

I would not say it was a bad trip, just wasn't the best trip I ever had to this location but it's still better than being at work...

Locals told me that it was not a regular thing to have had this much on-going weather..

Regards

Wow! I'm glad you could still say it was an okay trip.

I will be going to Utila / Roatan in late April. Any idea what the weather might be like? Looking for some great diving as well as getting my Advance OW cert while there.=-)

Our winter is rainy season in the Bay Islands. That's one reason you can find such good deals to go there. I much prefer to wait until spring to go. We return every year in Mar or April. The daytime temps are in the low to mid 80's and water temps in the low 80's. We might see a bit of wind in March but that's usually about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom