Caribbean Jimmy's Dive Resort - Nombre De Dios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toms

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any information on this place? If not how about just diving in that area of the Caribbean - just south of Colon and Isla Grande - in October?

Actually it was quite nice, and Jimmy is one of a kind, I'd recommend it in a minute.

Do tell us more please. Accommodation viz boat etc etc

Not sure if he's still operating. I haven't heard anything about him in over a year. Check the wildly mixed reviews in Trip Advisor: Caribbean Jimmy's Dive Resort (Panama/Nombre de Dios) - Ranch Reviews - TripAdvisor

Viz in that area varies from 10' to 40'. Late September to the end of November is the best time to go as the seas flatten and you don't have such huge swells. (The dive ops in Portobelo and Isla Grande won't go to the barrier reef except during that time of year.)

Jimmy operates a small, open six-pack -- just like the other dive ops in Caribbean Panama.

I would geneously call the cabins at Jimmy's "spartan."

A couple of other notes: Jimmy plays very fast and loose with the local laws. Diving is prohibited in the San Blas Islands, but Jimmy goes there anyway. Lately, the Guna (Kuna) have banned foreign charter yachts from operating in the comarca (reservation) that are not Guna owned or haven't paid the Guna's exorbinant operating fees. I would imagine they would be cracking down on Jimmy, too. Jimmy also allows guests to break fishing laws. What he doesn't tell you is that if you're caught taking lobster or diving in San Blas you could end up in a very terrible place for much longer than your planned vacation, praying for deliverance by your embassy.

As alternative, you might want to check out Scubapanama in Portobelo. Although, for Caribbean diving in Panama, I much prefer Bocas Water Sports in Bocas del Toro.

Back
Top Bottom