Fantasy Island - Mini Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Yesterday I returned from a very nice week of diving at Fantasy Island in Roatan. The place is a good hotel with excellent food and a well run diving operation.

All meals are served buffet style on attractive granite counters with built in steam tables or chilling areas. It is resort quality food bearing no resemblence to what is available at many so called dive camps.

The rooms are standard hotel rooms with two double beds, a good sized bathroom and cable TV. The buildings have been recently painted and the lobby looks like a real resort hotel lobby, not a dive camp.

Diving is at the same sites used by Coco View. On the bay of Honduras colorful sponges and yellowtail snapper abound. A 30 pound dogtooth snapper hung around the sites to the west of the channel. There is an occasional seahorse, squid, juvenile spotted drum, or eagle ray. All dives are wall dives with the top of the wall in anywhere from 45 to 12 feet of water. My dives were from 55 to 60 minutes long, three boat dives per day. I did one "shore dive" which was actually a drop off dive over the Prince Albert from a small skiff. The divemaster was a cheerful local man who was good at finding stuff and did not act like scuba cop.

All that for $750 per week double ocupancy, $815 single, plus 12% sales tax. By the way, the bar has happy hour from 5 to 6 daily with half price drinks. Local beer is $2.25 including tax. Don't forget to bring DEET.

How was the travel getting there and back?

Travel to Roatan is very easy and cheap on TACA with direct flights from the US on Saturday. As of yesterday they still had the $199 special which works out to about $335 round trip.

You discovered my new favorite place to go! I went in Jan and also had a great experience and am looking forward to going back. I loved the ease of just getting, up, eating, jumping on the dive boat for 3 dives a day, not having to lug gear around and not having to worry about finding a good restaurant to eat at. It was a great deal for the quality of hotel, staff and food that we got! :)

I was there in Sept. for 2 WEEKS.... had a blast... that's for the memories!!!

i was there last Sept for a week. had a good time. despite reading some negative reviews i thought it was pretty good. I know CoCo View is more geared towards strictly divers, but hey after 3 dives a day, i am pretty much ready for happy hour. A couple of British guys and I were regulars at 5:00.

Due to Taca's very low fares for direct flights from Houston to Roatan, I will be returning to FI in May. I expect the no-see-ums will have worked up their appetite for me by then.

Try using a bug repellant called "Cactus Juice." They sell it at Academy Sports. It works really well and doesn't smell like a lot of the bug juice on the market. Get the spray bottle.....it applies a lot easier than the lotion.

ROATAN IN 9 DAYS!!!!!

I use Cactus Juice. It almost smells good. My problem is not what works or not, it is forgetting to put the crud on. I was doing fine until the last day. After the final dive I got so caught up in washing my gear that I forgot to "debug". That was my down fall. the last of those bites are healing and on Sat, I am off to Utila. Its a hard life, I know. It seems that only the semi-famous Doc V takes more dive trips than I do.

Ok, you forgot to apply the Cactus Juice. You've learned your lesson, and vow to never forget again, but what do you do about those cursed bug bites? That's where the Benedryl (sp?) spray comes in. Instant relief!

Now, go have a cold beer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom