HELP! Cruising to Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Coz. Pick 2!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njneer630

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm getting ready to go on a cruise to the above locations. I'd love to dive them all, but I'm shooting for two of them. Which two should I choose?
I got certified in 1979, but have only been diving 10 times since then (yeah, I know...there's 29 years I'll never get back). I just re-took my OW class with my fiance and our 13 yr old daughters - who will be on the cruise as well.
Since our daughters are going to be with us, I'd like nice relaxing dives. And, my fiance is kind of freaked out by the thought of drift diving. She saw the movie "Open Water".....sigh. The thought of missing the boat scares her. So as I said before, nice, relaxing diving. Not much current, plenty of fish, coral, some morays and rays would be good. My fiance isn't too fond of sharks either. She's gotten better though. We were snorkling in Cayman last year and she jumped in right on top of a 4 ft Nurse shark, who just looked at her and swam away. Wish I had my camera for that one.
Also, if anyone has been diving on a Carnival cruise, I'd appreciate any suggestions to make it a pleasant trip. Should we book through the cruise line? (I already know about the possibility of the ship leaving us if we book on our own. We booked our Stingray City and snorkling excursion on our own - Moby Dick Tours - and had a great time. We were in a much smaller group than the ships group and got alot more personalized service.) Suggestions for reputable dive shops at any of our destinations if we end up booking dives outside the ship? I'd like a smaller group, not a "cattle car" dive boat if that's possible. Tippng the divemaster? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

if you want to avoid current, skip cozumel. you'll miss some fabulous diving but the current can be calm or strong and you never know. i've practically floated my way through some cozumel dives but on others i've kicked like crazy just to stay in one spot for a moment. (active currents are one reason why visibility is often so good on cozumel.) have fun!

Back
Top Bottom