Little Corn Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple of my friends asked me to come along on a trip to Little Corn Island, I have never heard of it. What are your opinions? Good, bad, ugly? Boat vs Shore diving? any opinions are appreciated.

Also, how do you get there? It looks like you have to take a puddle jumper from Managua (which means my wife will NOT go, not a fan of the little planes), is this correct?

Yeah, i would like to go there in mid february and can't find not a lot of informations.
EDIT: Check here:
Big Corn Island: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g612405-Big_Corn_Island_Corn_Islands-Vacations.html
Little Corn Island: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g612406-Little_Corn_Island_Corn_Islands-Vacations.html

But what i heard from people being there is that is must be very basic, very cheap, not cheap but beautiful diving.
Some kind of dive and adventure holidays, bringing your own gear may be a good idea.

Regarding the flight over there: Nicaragua, Vuelos Nacionales - Aerolinea La Costeña Yeah it's a poodlehopper....

You have to fly Managua - Corn Island and take there a boat to Little Corn Island.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Last edited:
Hey Scotty,

I just visited Little Corn Island in December and am headed back shortly. There are two dive shops established on the island - Dolphin Dive and Dive Little Corn. Both shops have equipment rentals available but I am not sure about prices for equipment only. They both offer cheap fun dives ($35-45 for a single tank dive including equipment rental and $60-75 for a double tank dive incl equipment).

There are some shallow reefs close to shore that mostly see snorkelers. Boat diving is probably the better option and what is offered by the local shops. Places to stay on Little Corn are relatively cheap ($7-12 per night for dorms and $15-75 per night for rooms) and you can get dive/accommodation packages through Dolphin Dive.

Generally, the island is pretty small with a few local shops and restaurants. No automobiles on the island and the entire island has electricity only between 2PM and 5AM. That said, everyone is really friendly and laid back and you can definitely get in some good diving.

Chris was right about the flight - La Costena has flights twice daily from Managua to Big Corn ($165 round trip and you can ask for an open ended ticket). Make reservations ahead of time to ensure a seat! The boat to Little Corn typically waits for the flights to come in and costs $6 each way. There is also an overland route that requires taking a bus and then ferry. You can find information for that in most guidebooks to Nicaragua.

Most of the island accepts Cordobas and dollars, but be sure to bring cash with you as there are no ATMs on Little Corn.

Good luck and Have Fun!
Jen

I'm on Big Corn as I write waiting for the weather to clear so I can catch the boat to Little Corn.
As the above post said,there is a wide range of places to stay on the island from very rustic to mi-range. The whole post is quite informative.
If you do plan a trip be prepared for puddle jumpers/ some times rough rides from Big Corn to Little Corn. Give yourself some leeway to leave Little Corn and make it back to Managua as even in the dry season (right now ) the weather can get interesting. Some folks the other day risked their lives to cross in a small boat and then found the plane grounded. They said it was the stupidest thing they've ever done. In fact this morning I didn't even check to see if the boat was running, I just decided it wasn't worth my and my wife's life to risk it. But when the weathers good the boat ride is fun and safe.
This is my first trip here but am looking forward to the diving and the simple pace of an island with no roads and not much to do but dive, eat, drink,walkabout,lay in the hammock,nap,nookie,etc.
I will do my best to post an update or two and maybee some photos

Just returned from little corn and a week of Poor diving. The problem here is Wind and plenty of it until mid february.The Pangua ride is actually a cheap thrill ride as the locals said they coudn't recall a sinking(there were men on our boat that were screaming like girls). If your bouncing off the tops of 12-15' waves just to get to the island then your not going to make it to the outer reefs in the smaller dive pangua. Hurricane Ida ripped through here Nov 5 and the few inner reefs we got to still had most of the fish displaced. If your a seasoned diver I would use Dolphin as they are more layed back. Dive Little Corn would be good for some one learning or a novice as they seem more concerned with that level of diving. Don't bother with Diving Big Corn as they go to the same places as the Little corn shops it just takes longer. Best Lobster restaraunt was Brigittes-2 large tails done any of three ways for $10.

Clint and Shelly at Dive little Corn will take great care of you. The diving is excellent and you really feel like you are getting personal attention. As an added benefit, once you get two log book stamps from DLC, you automatically become a member of TrekCats, an organization that provides discounted diving throughout Central and South America (check out TrekCats.com). If you have been to any of the other operators in TrekCats previously (and have their logbook stamps) you can get discounted diving at DLC.

Thanks all, I am gonna pass on little corn - going back to Bonaire - more of my pace, not crazy overcrowded, and not too rustic (wife definately will not go to little corn - she hates puddle jumpers, and likes modern conviences).

Oh yea. Be aware of the weight restrictions on La costena.

What are the weight restrictions?? After reading a write up about the Corn Islands in one of the Scuba rags recently, its on my radar for next years.

Thanks,
Harry

You are allowed 1 extra 30lb checked above a normal carry on. But they weigh each person with their carry on. It is unclear if they penalize you for being large. My wife and I were under #200 each with our carry and then our checked was within the #30. I have been told that If there is two much weight on the plane your luggage may be left until a later flight. We had our snorkel gear and wet suits in the checked.The rental suits were a little lite for multiple dives.

Back
Top Bottom