Puerto Viejo Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone been to Puerto Viejo or the Manzanillo area. How about diving with Punta Uva Dive center. The area looks interesting but I can't decide.

I heard good things from Punta Uva Divers and from Aquamor in Manzanillo, but have (still) no personal experience wit them.

Chris Karrer

I was down there a couple years ago, didn't do any diving so I can't say on the operators.
I did some snorkeling off Punta Uva and there wasn't too much to see. Pretty cool area though to go and hang out! I wish I rented a car though for sure.

I'll request this be move to the main forum for better coverages.

While I have never dived in the Puerto viejo area myself, it is only about 50 miles from us and many of the folks who have been diving there and then come dive with us highly recommend diving with Crocodive Dive Center. I heard their staff is very good and that they have all new ScubaPro equipment and dive with steel high pressure 80s (my favorite1).

How far is Puerto Viejo from Puerto Limon? I'm on a full-transit Panama Canal cruise next year and we'll be stopping at Puerto Limon. I was there about 20 years ago and don't want to see a banana plantation again. I'd much rather go diving. :cool2:

About 30-35 mn car or bus ride. Cruise ships in Limon usually give their passengers more than the time they need to come down diving in Puerto VIejo. Also, Crocodive Caribe arranges for pickups directly at the cruise ship terminal in Limon....

My wife and I have been to Puerto Viejo several times and have been consistently disappointed. Usually you cannot dive, there are large rivers full of silt and if its raining or has recently been heavily raining, which is usually the case, there is zero visibility. The one time we were able to dive we had a great dive with Reef Runners.
For snorkellers Manzanillo is much better than Punta Uva, the reef is as close as 100' from the beach.
If you are interested in diving the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, I would reccomend going to the Pacific and watching the weather forecast in Puerto Viejo. Its an eight or ten hour drive to Puerto Viejo, go when they are calling for four or five days of good weather.
It is more like a solid hour from Limon.

Last edited:
I heard good things from Punta Uva Divers and from Aquamor in Manzanillo, but have (still) no personal experience wit them.

Chris Karrer

Punta Uva Dive Center is OK, but they have only one divemaster who speaks english. If the day you will be diving they have some scuba students (from USA, for example) you will be assigned to the "spanish-only" divemasters. The reefs in front of Punta Uva are not so great. I planned two days of scuba and, after the first day, I decided to do something else. I went diving in the place they called "Corral GARDEN" and believe me I only see a bunch of rocks and very few corals... even the fishes (parrots, eels, snappers) were somewhere else. Barely see some lonely fishes swiming out there and a couple of lobster. Doesn't worth it 90 dollars I paid for the two tanks scuba trip. Oh... I almost forget, their BCDs are extremely used. They have to send most of them to the trash and buy new ones.

Back
Top Bottom