Back to Bocas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gb_williams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you’re thinking about diving Bocas del Toro, leave your expectations at home and get ready for a Panamanian treat.

Bocas is a town like no other; not in Panama, nor elsewhere. From the architecture to the weather, to the people, Bocas is different. When it’s the rainy season over most of Panama, it’s invariably drier in Bocas. And, when the hot, dry winds of summer blow over the rest of the country, (January through March), you can count on rainy days in these islands.

Along the half-mile of main street, the clapboard restaurants and hostels with their brightly colored gingerbread trim have more of the look and feel of a western movie set than a tropical Panamanian town. In a way, that’s about right. In the early 1900s, Bocas Town was a frontier blazing banana port of the United Fruit Company, and all of its street names and most of the inhabitants were American. Along the shore that boarders the town on three sides, the office buildings, restaurants and hotels are perched on pilings over the water. Just about any restaurant is a great place to catch the evening breeze and an after-dive Cervesa Panama while watching the water taxis zip by as they go to and from the numerous islands of the archipelago.

For years, Bocas has attracted backpackers, surfers and snorkelers from all over the world; especially Europe. That part hasn’t changed much since I first visited the town and the reefs ten years ago. What has changed are the number of ex-pat Americans and Canadians who have flocked there for retirement or adventure or both. And that has had both positive and negative impacts. It’s been positive for the services the migration has brought about. There are more restaurants and hotels, things run a little smoother and the streets are now paved. Unfortunately, you can no longer be entertained for hours watching the taxi pick-ups bounce and jostle as they try to dodge the deep, water filled pot holes on main street. The other impact is price. While Bocas is a bargain compared to Grand Cayman, Roatan or Bonaire, gone are the days when a room for the night and a two-pound lobster dinner both cost $6.

Enough of the travel log – here’s about the diving:

This where you need to abandon all expectations. Starting with visibility. Granted, I haven’t dove – yet – during the truly great Bocas diving season of late August through the end of October, but I have dove in early August, May and January. At no time was visibility greater than 30 feet. The rains carry a lot of mud into the mainland rivers and that means a lot of sediment in the bay. In the afternoons, there are sometimes brief but fierce tropical rainstorms that pelt the surface and block the sunlight. They look and sound like a gravel truck unloading above you. And, when you get out of the water, you’ll be drenched, as if you’re not soaked already.

But, it’s what you see within your range of visibility that is often spectacular. The varieties and the colors of coral and sponges are amazing. From red tubes to brown leafs to hues of blue, purple, gold and pink. Often entwined with yellow and blue Brittle Stars, the reef looks like a living Jackson Pollack painting – only more vibrant.

And, that’s just the stage dressing.

The actors and the characters are a cast of thousands; Green and Spotted Morays, beautiful and shy Spotted Drums, hovering Banded Puffers, territorial Damselfish, Toadfish, tiny, yellow sea horses, large Porcupine fish, Barracuda, schools of Spadefish and the ubiquitous French Grunts with their buddies the Yellow Tailed Snappers. There are plenty of other creatures, too, like crabs, Caribbean lobsters, huge conch and schools of Reef Squid. Pretty but unfortunate are the newly arrived Lionfish. The first one was spotted in May of 2009. In January 2010, I saw from one to four on every dive. Dive operator Jon Schneiderman and the editor of the local Bocas Breeze newspaper are spearheading a multi-pronged effort among fishermen, divemasters and Panama’s environmental agency to help control and contain the voracious invaders.

Another advantage of Bocas is that you don’t have to go deep to see everything. Which means you get to stay longer. (Although, when the “mad seas” calm during September and October, I have been told there are some very impressive wall dives in the 80 to 100 foot range with bigger fish, better visibility and interesting caverns and swim-throughs.) Of the ten dives I made in January, the deepest was 65 feet. The most colorful and active reefs and wrecks are between 15 and 45 feet.

I can honestly say that while Bocas may not have the vast number of dive sites and hundred foot visibility of the Caymans, it certainly vies at least equally for the sea life and the reefs. Not to mention the cost. Boat dives are cheaper here than anywhere else in Panama.

In 2000, there were two dive operations in Bocas; Starfleet (or if you read the name on their boats: “Starfeet”) and Bocas Water Sports. At that time, the only things I trusted about BWS were its T-shirts. Today, thanks to ex-pat Jon Schneiderman, his wife Stacy, and their staff of instructors and divemasters, Bocas Water Sports is becoming one of the best dive operators in Panama and the only one with a PADI Five Star rating. Of the five Panamanian dive operators I have dove with repeatedly, BWS is the best. The difference is service.

Jon brings years of experience as a live-aboard captain to BWS. In the two years since taking over BWS, he has made a number of big improvements. The rental gear is kept in very good condition. The boats actually have ladders now for getting out of the water. And, most of all, the staff are more attentive and focused on the customer’s experience than many other divemasters. While they may not hand you a fresh, cool orange wedge when you finish your dive, they are quick to help with your gear and check you carefully before letting you roll off the side of the dive boat. That’s not to say that Panamanian divemasters don’t care, it’s just that this is Panama. And, most of Panama doesn’t pamper customers in the ways that most gringos have grown to expect. Many of the local divemasters learned to dive with cast off gear a gringo wouldn’t take into a kiddie pool. They’re used to getting into a dive boat by pulling themselves up and over the gunwale. In this environment, Jon has brought a new level of customer service to Panamanian diving.

All of the divemasters are also PADI instructors. They all speak at least two languages fluently (English being one) and know a lot about the sea life. Like our divemaster, Leandro, who obviously enjoyed showing where all the secrets of the reefs were hiding and did an excellent job of guiding his group of four divers. That’s right. Jon has put a cap on the number of divers per divemaster. The maximum is four. Another big difference from the typical resort boats hauling 14 to 24 divers.

In between dives, you can take advantage of world class snorkeling. Many of the snorkeling reefs are in no more than four to six feet of crystal clear water. The coral is just as vibrant and the small fish and animals just as plentiful as the deeper reefs.

So, when you go to Bocas, expect the following: colors, creatures and critters (both underwater and above) that will amaze and surprise you; a relaxed, frontier, party-hardy kind of town filled with vagabonds, tourists, ex-pats, indios and very hospitable panameños; rustic, but affordable accommodations (yes, you can pay big bucks for luxury, too) and great, great food! Oh, I didn’t mention the food in Bocas? Like the many fine restaurants on the waterfront … or the wonderful Thai restaurant, Island Time, perched on the hilltop in the rainforest above Bastimientos … or the most excellent bar at Hotel Angela? (Just stay far away from Rip Tide. You could grow old, die and your body turn to dust before your meal gets served.) Anyway … the food in Bocas … when it arrives, it's great.

Just one last point you need to be aware of: It’s very possible you could never come back to wherever you came from. There are a number of ex-pats living in Bocas who came for two weeks and never left. May you be so lucky.

Attachments

• DSCN1148.jpg
    DSCN1148.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN1110.jpg
    DSCN1110.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1170.jpg
    DSCN1170.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN1225.jpg
    DSCN1225.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN1297.jpg
    DSCN1297.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1220.jpg
    DSCN1220.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN1292.jpg
    DSCN1292.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1245.jpg
    DSCN1245.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1189.jpg
    DSCN1189.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN1280.jpg
    DSCN1280.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 80
I agree, I was in Bocas in late Oct. 2009 and had the pleasure of diving with BWS. Jon and Stacy were awsome, the staff were great I have since became friends with. Some of the dive sites I enjoyed the the most were The White, Hospital Point and The Playground. The one site I did not get to dive is Tiger Rock so I will have to go back when the seas are calmer. Once again I would highly recommend BWS for your diving pleasure!!!

Thanks for this. We arrive in July. Actually shouldn't thank you - the posts have just made the wait seem longer!!

Thanks for the great reviews and we look forward to diving with you all again soon. Pelan-Pelan, PM me if you need any travel advice or info on Bocas.

Hello Jon,

Just wanted to hi from up here in Alaska. Aric and I are leaving for Cartagena April 13th
we were going to try and squeeze in a little time for Bocas but couldn't. Hope things are going well as I see on FB you are busy, and Alan is in Roatan, tell your wife and Freddy hello from us Alaska boys!

Cheers,

Asa

P.S. If you see Brian from Lula's tell him thanks again for getting the T-Shirt to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom