Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogman

New
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking three weeks away in Honduras around the end of ther year (Oct/Nov/Dec) ??

1st Q: When would the best time be to go and why?

2nd Q: What is the diving like there? What mariine life is in abundance? Are there sharks / pelagics / turtles?

3rd Q: How much is the diving there, somebody told me it's amonsgt the cheapest in the world....... true????

4th Q: What sites are unmissable and why?

5th Q: With a short time frame like mine, which resorts will get me in amonsgt the most accessible range of quality dive action??

Any help will be muchos, muchos appreciated........

gggggrrrrr....!!:eek:ut:

Either Utila or Roatan

I went to Roatan, at Anthony's Key Resort, last March. I had a window seat on the ride in and could see the "world's second largest barrier reef" as soon as we cleard the clouds. Looked very promising.

The week went great, superb diving, turtles, groupers, eels, sharks, dolphins (at Anthony's Key) and seahorses (at Mary's Place). Friendly staff. Great weather. Cool rooms, more like cabins on stilts, which allow you to sleep to the sound of the waves on the shoreline below you.

I'll never go back though. The reason: I like to do other stuff than just dive. I had a ball in Cozumel because I took a couple of days from diving and checked out other attractions, like the Mayan Ruins. Roatan has nothing else but diving. I met a girl from Toronto, she didn't dive, her boyfriend did, and even though it was below freezing back home, she was looking forward to heading back home after only 3 days.

IMHO, Taca airlines are not very reliable, and they have monopoly on Honduras. Make sure you carry your wetsuit, mask and reg in you carry on. My luggage came in time, however, folks from other flights weren't as lucky.

Possibility of Malaria there. Make sure you get a prescription against it.

AKR-specific: a week's stay looks cheap looks cheap on their Web site, but I had to pay for everything outside of lodging, meals and charters. If I needed a bottle of water between dives, I had to charge $1 to my room. Same for snacks and alcoholic drinks. Not as "all inclusive" as they say.

Enjoy your trip!

Dogman once bubbled...
I'm thinking about taking three weeks away in Honduras around the end of ther year (Oct/Nov/Dec) ??

1st Q: When would the best time be to go and why?

2nd Q: What is the diving like there? What mariine life is in abundance? Are there sharks / pelagics / turtles?

3rd Q: How much is the diving there, somebody told me it's amonsgt the cheapest in the world....... true????

4th Q: What sites are unmissable and why?

5th Q: With a short time frame like mine, which resorts will get me in amonsgt the most accessible range of quality dive action??

Any help will be muchos, muchos appreciated........

gggggrrrrr....!!:eek:ut:

I agree on the Roatan idea from Kaos. Good diving but bad for bugs. Take your bug spray. If you don't dive as Kaos said, not much else to do but read. I believe that Sol Air now fly's into the island. Check out this website. http://www.projecthonduras.com/solair/

Don't even think about getting out and trying restaurants. You will eat where you stay. Not much variety. If the diving is all your going for then you will enjoy it. You can do a search on Google for Roatan as well as a search on Scuba Board as there are many posts from those who have visited the area.

If you're looking for jungle tours, I hear the Mosquito Coast is not to be missed. Just remember, they don't call it that for nothing!There has been some civil unrest reported on the mainland, and malaria has been found in several places along with other unpleasantries on the mainland.

If you're planning on lots of diving for 3 weeks, go to the Bay Islands. But be warned, there's nothing to very little to do besides dive. I can tell you about CoCo View resort on Roatan if you're intersted. Search this forum for Roatan, Utila, or Guanaja for other location info.

Back
Top Bottom