Panama advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted this on "Meet and greet." Hoping to get some advice from people who are more experienced in Central America and with diving. Would really like to find a dive partner in Panama as well.

Hi,

I got Open Water and then Advanced Open Water Certified with SSI and then PADI this summer and now I'm in Panama very anxious to dive. I'm in Panama City for a couple of more weeks learning Spanish but really want to get under water. I contacted ScubaPanama and they want me to pay $450 for a two tank dive to Isla Taboga. I'm diving alone so they want 2 divers worth of money. Not sure what to do. New enough to this stuff that I could really use some advice. Thinking about going North to the Caribbean. Help? Can't afford $450 a day but I REALLY want to get in the water.

Thanks for any help

Tony

Is this the ONLY dive operator in Panama?

That's crazy. How about panamadivers.com. I haven't used them, but it's another option.

Well, for starters, no dive around Taboga would be worth $450 or $225....there are a couple of dive operators on the Atlantic side, and at least one north of you in the Pacific. There may still be one out in the islands also. You should be able to do an internet search and find several... just not sure how busy they are right now...

PS: Neat diving in some places there, if you can find a dive operator.

I posted this on "Meet and greet." Hoping to get some advice from people who are more experienced in Central America and with diving. Would really like to find a dive partner in Panama as well.

Hi,

I got Open Water and then Advanced Open Water Certified with SSI and then PADI this summer and now I'm in Panama very anxious to dive. I'm in Panama City for a couple of more weeks learning Spanish but really want to get under water. I contacted ScubaPanama and they want me to pay $450 for a two tank dive to Isla Taboga. I'm diving alone so they want 2 divers worth of money. Not sure what to do. New enough to this stuff that I could really use some advice. Thinking about going North to the Caribbean. Help? Can't afford $450 a day but I REALLY want to get in the water.

Thanks for any help

Tony

You might contact one of the board's member: cappyjon431. (you can find him through the search function). He owns Bocas Water Sports in Bocas del Toro. I think he is on the other side of the country from you, but he will give you a straight answer.

yeah that is a bit steep. A trip to bocas del toro would yield some great diving, but that is a long haul... Here are some of the local operators...

SCUBA Panamá, Ciudad Panamá 507-261-3841
Neptuno Panamá, Ciudad Panamá 507-226-2020
Panamá Dive Adventures, Ciudad de Panamá 507-279-1467
Panamá Divers, Ciudad Panamá 504-314-0817/6571-7512
Scuba Portobelo, Portobelo, Colón 507-261-3841
Scuba Coiba, Santa Catalina, Veraguas 507-263-4366
Chiriquí Divers David , Chiriquí 805-729-3727
Islas Secas David, Chiriquí 805-729-3727
Twin OceanDive Center Portobelo, Colón 507-448-2067
Panamá Sailing & Diving San Blas (507) 6668-6849
Starfleet SCUBA Bocas del Toro 507-757-9630
Bocas Water Sports Bocas del Toro 507-757-9541
The Dutch Pirate Diving Panamá Bocas del Toro 507-6567-1812
Buzos de Azuero Pedasí (Azuero) 507-995-8405
Dive ´n´Fish Pedasi Pedasí (Azuero) 507-995-2402
Charters Scuba 507-656-65984
Panamá Water Sport Adventure Royal Decameron Beach Resort 507-264-5328

Some of the numbers listed have more digits than ususal its not a type-o...mobile phones have an extra #6 before the actual number...

I love the country...Enjoy being there and check out a restaurant called "Il Pomodoro" its great!!!! its in the "el cangrejo" sector of the city... Also a place called Siete Mares... any of the cabbies will know where they are...

My first tour of duty was in panama when I was 18/19....before, during and after Just Cause (removing noriega). Wish I had gotten certified back then. Would have been cheaper and I'd have a couple thousand dives by now.

Personally, from what I heard the Atlantic side is worth the trip. Lots of people used to dive off Ft Sherman (closed now) and raved about it. Unfortunately it didn't interest me back then. Do us all a favor and post your post-dive reports so it'll be available for all via search AND the operator you used with pros & cons. I definitely want to go back to Panama for a 3rd time to see the changes time makes.

That was incredibly helpful. I'm taking the slow road to Bocas next week and should arrive in about 3. I'll definitely get in touch with these dive shop owners. Thanks again.

Anthony

That was incredibly helpful. I'm taking the slow road to Bocas next week and should arrive in about 3. I'll definitely get in touch with these dive shop owners. Thanks again.

Anthony

Hi Anthony. $450 for a two tank dive seems very steep. We do two tank dives for $60, including equipment. We'll go out with as few as one diver and put no more than four divers with one DM guide. PM me if you need any information on Bocas (accommodations, transportation, restaurants, night life...and oh yeah, diving).

If you need any general info on Bocas, you might want to check out BOCAS DEL TORO - Tourism in the Panama Caribbean region. It has links to most of the dive operators, hotels, and tour operators in bocas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom