Costa Rica: Northwest coast in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gohogoho

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I'm hoping to get to the Northwest coast of CR (around Tamarindo) in April to do some diving. Does anyone have recommendations of which areas to look into? Previous posts have mentioned Tamarindo, Playa del Coco, and Ocotal. Anyone able to compare these spot (and others)? Any specific dive shops or trips you'd recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi again,
Here's another thought--considering that the NW coast of Costa Rica isn't getting much response.

Does anyone have any input about the Southwest coast of Nicaragua? Is there good diving there? Any places to recommend?

Thanks again,
gohogoho

Hi,
I'm hoping to get to the Northwest coast of CR (around Tamarindo) in April to do some diving. Does anyone have recommendations of which areas to look into? Previous posts have mentioned Tamarindo, Playa del Coco, and Ocotal. Anyone able to compare these spot (and others)? Any specific dive shops or trips you'd recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

I've spent a lot of time diving on the NW coast, especially around Playa Hermosa and Playas Del Coco. When it's good the diving is excellent. There is as much marine life around Costa Rica as there is in the Galapagos. However, the viz is sometimes not so good. The best dive shop in the area, in my opinion, is Diving Safari, located in Playa Hermosa.

Regarding Nicaragua, my research tells me that Neptune Diving is the only option in the San Juan del Sur area (versus the Caribbean side of the country, which has more diving ops). Anyway, you're better off in Guanacaste (NW Costa Rica).... or so I've read.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I'll look into these...

Check out Murcielago (bat) islands and the Catalinas Islands. I've used Deep Blue Diving in Playas del Coco and Rich Coast Diving...google them
Have fun in CR

I was just in Tamarindo for two weeks in January. I dove with Aquacenter diving in Playa Flamingo. The Catalina islands are where just about all the dive shops in that local area go to. The vis is not the greatest, but we saw some pretty great things I think. One day we saw several large Manta Rays. Two on the first dive and two on the second dive that day. The next day we say another Manta Ray, it pretty much hovered over us for half the dive. Pretty amazing watching an animal like that stay so close to us. Also saw some white tip reef sharks, a sting ray down at about 90' with a tail that seemed to be 5' or 6' long. Schools of eagle rays, puffer fish, angel fish, eels, octupus, and lots of other amazing sea life.

By far the coolest part of the diving for me at the Catalina Islands were the huge Manta Rays, and white tip sharks.

The visibility was around 20 to 30 feet, and temps were 78 degrees near the surface and 73 degrees was the coolest I saw. 3mm wetsuit was suitable for me. And most dives were about 50 to 65 feet. I did my Advanced Open Water Cert while there so one of the days was the deep dive, thats where we saw the big sting ray.

The Bat islands are frequented during the rainy season, when the winds are a bit calmer than the dry season there. Apparently the seas can get unruly and make for unsafe conditions at that location, so plan accordingly if thats where you want to go.

I don't necessarly think Costa Rica is the best spot for a dedicated dive trip, but with all the other awesome stuff to do, the volcanos, beach, jungle, very nice people, restraunts...etc, it made for a great vacation. My wife and I are definatly going back.

Check out Nibana in Tamaringdo for good hapy hour drinks, and El Mirador for a nice dinner with a great view of the sunset. Most places in Tamarindo have 2 for 1 deals during happy hour which seemed to be 5:00 to 7:00. Find a fishing charter and do some fishing, we caught a bunch of Grouper and Red Snapper. Made for some good dinners.

Last edited:
The advantage of Playas del Coco is that we are very central, we have more than 20 local dive sites (rays, sharks and schools of fish) we have trips to the Catalinas and trips to the Bat islands :)

Back
Top Bottom