Panama- any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaArtNancy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!
My husband and I are considering a trip to Panama- anyone have any experience diving in this country? Suggestions / advice will be most appreciated!
Thanks!

My first tropical dive week was last Jan. to Panama Divers in Portobelo (Caribbean side). They will pick you up at the airport for a fee. Dives were good, though viz was 40'--due to the mudslides in Dec. that killed several in the area. DM Rafael was excellant, as was the Captain. No head on their boat. I stayed at Octopus Gardens--Rustic--good for divers. Not a lot of hot water and a power failure for a day. Food was pretty good. No TV in most rooms.

Portobello or Bocas del Toro on the Caribbean. Islas Perlas or Coiba on the Pacific. Check out each area through local dive shops or live-aboard sites.

I am going to try to dive Panama in 2012, probably Pacific side.
How did you make out with plans, air etc?

Portebello is okay.. Coiba is awesome. I reccommend coiba dive center.. Had a blast when we went. Saw about 20 white tip reef sharks on first dive.. Lots of fish, frog fish, beautiful. Check it out.. This is not for someone looking for family vacation style. The place is about a 3 hour drive from the city and about half of it is on a road with 500 pot holes out in the middle of no where.... But its worth it.. Stayed at hibiscius gardens

bocas is good as well but coiba is better

have fun

I actually own a resort in Bocas Del Toro which is on the east side. On the west side the tide rises and falls 20 feet every day and the Ocean is pretty rough. I think you will find the diving mediocre at best anywhere in Panama. Coiba is probably the only place worth diving. Coiba is an advanced dive though. The currents rip hard through there, there are deep undertows, visibility is frequently poor and the sea life just is not that impressive. I personally dont trust the dive operations there to be equipped properly for emergencies either. If you do not get to dive in a tropical environment often, then you very well may enjoy diving somewhere like Bocas Del Toro. Realize that Bocas, and Coiba are islands, and are not really accessible from the mainland other than by boat or plane. Personally I think if you are in Bocas you would be better off snorkeling anyway. Bocas is a beautiful archipelago surrounded by shallow water, and many small corals, and small fishes. Local children free dive off of hand made wooden kayukas to harvest lobster, crab and other seafood delights. It truly is a tropical paradise, too bad the diving is not better. Reminds me of what the Florida Keys must have been like before Flagler. The other aspect is medical safety. In Bocas, if you get hurt worse than a scratch, you are in trouble. Definitely getting medivacced out. Someone checked the lone local ambulance and found that they didnt even have band-aids on the thing. If you want to go to a quirky, 3rd world Caribbean town that once was, then Bocas is for you. I would call ahead though and make sure it has rained recently and that they have water. Also BE SURE to pick your lodging carefully. PM me if you want additional tips. I have spent a ton of time in Panama. If you have never been I strongly recommend the Gamboa nature preserve. Like diving, only above water. You will see an amazing amount of wild life there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom