Help with short visit to Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a short business trip to Panama City in mid-July. I will have one or two days to dive.

Scuba Panama has dives in the Pacific to Taboquilla, Taboga, Bona, and Otoque Islands. They also drive to Portobello and dive in the Atlantic.

Panama Divers will pick up in Panama City to dive from Portobello.

I would appreciate suggestions regarding operator and dive sites for this brief visit to Panama

Thanks much,

Craig

Take a look at the review on Scubapanama in Portobelo on Trip Advisor. I've been diving with them at Portobelo since 2007, and have snorkeled there since 1999.

I haven't dove the Pacific islands, like Taboga. The cost is too much, the water is too cold (for just a skin) and there are no coral -- only rocks. So, I stick to Portobelo and Bocas del Toro. I haven't dove Coiba, yet, but am looking foward to doing so when I can afford to kill two full days just getting from the city to Santa Catalina and back.

So, because it's so close to the city (only 90 minutes), my wife, our friends and I dive Portobelo fairly often. In July, no matter which dive operator in Portobelo you go with, you'll be diving the sheltered sites. There are only a few; Drake Island, Buena Ventura and an old wrecked airplane. The sea will be too rough to go out to the wall until late August. These sheltered sites are fairly shallow -- 25' to a max of 60'. They used to be thick with parrortfish, angels, drums, spotted morays, lobster, crab, octopi and all the small reef fish. The amount of life on and around the reefs was on par with Cayman and any other Caribbean dive spot. In September, I was amazed by how much the population had declined. Whether its from overfishing, silt on the reefs or the invasion of lionfish (saw five on and around one rock), there aren't quite as many fish and critters as there once were.

But, they are still nice dives. The corals are colorful and there are huge gorgonians on Drake Island. (Maybe you can find Drake's long lost lead casket.) Don't expect much viz, though. Depending on the amount of recent rain, it can range from 10 to 50 feet, although I'd say average viz is in the 20 to 30 range.

As for dive operators, I'd go with Scubapanama. They charge much less for rental gear and dives than than Panama Divers. And, you can go with them seven days a week. (It can get a little crowded on the weekends.)

I think Scubapanama also offers better and less expensive accomodations, too. I like their cabanas. They're much closer to Portobelo, which is a good thing, because there are no taxis in the area -- only los diablos rojos, the red devil ex-school busses that are brilliantly painted on the outside, loud as hell with their straight, chromed pipes and cramped (just like a school bus) on the inside. But, for 25 cents a ride, what can you expect?

I'd recommend renting a car and driving. You can pick up a rental at Albrook Airport and avoid all the hassle of driving in the city. (And, it is nightmarishly horrible.) Just turn right on the main road coming out of the airport, keep going along the Panama Canal. When you hit the autopista, head for Colon, pay your toll and when the autopista runs out, turn right at the El Rey supermarket on your right and keep going till you see Scubapanama and Sunset Cabins on your left about 45 minutes later.

The caretaker, Sra. Chong, is also a wonderful cook. She'll cook fish or soup for lunch -- whatever you prefer and same for dinner. She'll also cook a great breakfast to order for you, but you'll pay too much for it. You'll pay $10 for breakfast at Scubapanama. But, if you get in your car and drive one km toward Portobelo you'll pay less than $5 for the same thing at La Torre. La Torre is an excellent restaurant -- the very best on the Caribbean side of Panama (until you get to Bocas). Second best is Los Cañones, which is literally next door to Scubapanama.

One warning about Portobelo -- everything closes up by 7 or 8 pm. So, make sure you eat first before going on a night dive. Or, make arrangements with Sra. Chong to have dinner for you when you get back.

Night dives with Scubapanama are very good. I did two in September and saw morays, octopi, lobster larvae and banded shrimp.

Another reason you'll need a car is to see the historic and cultural sites of Portobelo. You can walk around the ruins of the Spanish forts, go see the Customs House (which once held 1/3rd of the world's wealth in the early 1600s), visit the church of the Black Christ and buy molas from Kuna indians. These women consistently have the best molas I've seen in Panama. It used to be fun to barter with them, but now they're used to gringo tourists saying, "Okay" to their initial price. But, if you're buying more than one, you can usually bargain with them if there aren't a lot of gringos around.

Anyway, that's my dos centavos on Portobelo. Have fun. And, if you do go, take the time to get a water taxi to take you across the bay to the two forts on the hillside. It's worth the adventure in just the view alone.

Buen viaje,

Grant

P.S. The photo illustrates how to get through an intersection in Panama City.

Attachments

• Intersection_3.jpg
    Intersection_3.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 325
Thanks Grant, very useful information, I believe I have a tentative plan. Others with suggestions?

Good diving, Craig

In the Pacific Coast:

1. Dive in Cohiba: When visibility is good is great: 150 feet in the best circumstance. From the last week of April until the first week of July you can see whales, and orcas. Throughout the whole year you can see sharks and some distance from the island you can see manta rays.

2. Islas Frailes: Awesome visibility when it's good (150') Between the Island and the country you'll find hundreds of morey eels.

You can go elsewhere, but it's going difficult to find great things to see or good visibility.

On the Atlantic Coast:

1. Portobello: Salmedina is a coral obelisk, which rises to the surface of the Ocean some 10-12 minutes from the country. It's colorful and you will find small creatures on the coral reef, which are fun to look at.

2. Farallones: Is a rock formation underwater, which looks like the blocks of the city of NY.
Out there the currents are extreme, so be careful.

3. Bocas del Toro is nice, but I don't think that it is what people make it to be.

4. San Blas: The clearest waters ever, but no diving operation to fill up your tank (until year 2000) There was a guy in Isla Grande (Portobelo) who took people to dive at San Blas.

Hope this would help.

Luigi

I'll be diving July 14 and 15 with Scubapanama from Portobelo. I'm looking forward to it, will post my experience.

Craig

In the Pacific Coast:

1. Dive in Cohiba.

Luigi

If only it were possible, Cohiba is the most famous of the Cuban cigar brands. Coiba is the island off Panama's Pacific Coast. Still the visual I get from diving Cohiba makes the Freudian slip a notable one.

"A woman is just a woman; but a good cigar is a smoke." - attributed to S. Freud

I know the name of the Island. I also know the history of the name. You see? I'm Panamanian.

The island of which you speak was named COHIBA by people who considered it to be separated from the rest of the country. You see? COHIBA comes from the verb COHIBIR, which means to cause someone else to withdraw.

COIBA was the name that the people of the country gave to the island without knowing how to spell the word!

Me? I'm not COHIBIDO. I know my country and my language and I'm not afraid to speak and write it correctly.

Luigi

Luigi,

Meto!

Cuando yo vivia en Pto. Armuelles, Chiriqui paseabamos a vez en cuando a la isla de Coiba para pescar y bucear. El problema principal en estos tiempos (1990 - 1994) era la penetenciaria. Tuvimos que andar armados y quedarnos en unos de los cayos para nuestra seguridad. He encontrado balsas hecho por los reos, fabricados de palos de coco con alambre de puas. Mas que todo, recuerdo a la belleza natural y la brutalidad humana alla. No he vuelto despues de la cierre del centro penal. Imagino que la mala reputacion de la isla sigue con mucha gente, aunque me gustaria visitarla ahora, ya que se puede hacerlo sin riesgo.

Luigi,

Meto!

Cuando yo vivia en Pto. Armuelles, Chiriqui paseabamos a vez en cuando a la isla de Coiba para pescar y bucear. El problema principal en estos tiempos (1990 - 1994) era la penetenciaria. Tuvimos que andar armados y quedarnos en unos de los cayos para nuestra seguridad. He encontrado balsas hecho por los reos, fabricados de palos de coco con alambre de puas. Mas que todo, recuerdo a la belleza natural y la brutalidad humana alla. No he vuelto despues de la cierre del centro penal. Imagino que la mala reputacion de la isla sigue con mucha gente, aunque me gustaria visitarla ahora, ya que se puede hacerlo sin riesgo.

Hey! Panameño! Yo no visito esas aguas desde Octubre del 2000. Sé que hay gente en Panamá que conocen bien esa región. La gente de Scuba Panama, "Key" un colaborador del antiguo Nautilus en Portobelo y otros.

Yo nunca visité la isla cuando era la penitenciaría. Me hubiera parecido que habría que estar medio loco para hacer eso!!! cuas!cuas!cuas!

Saludos!

Luigi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom