Central America Diving/Backpacking during rainy season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myscubastory.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So here is my dilemma. I got PADI OWSI qualified in Thailand late last year and fell in love with the sport. Id like to get out and do like a backpack/diving (possibly get DM/instructor work here and there) trip for a few months approximately Sept-Jan. Im seriously considering Central America because of the cheap travel around the area, but Ive read over and over that this is the rainy season in all the countries with the best diving i.e. Honduras, Belize, Corn Islands.

My first question is: does anyone have experience diving Bay Islands (Utila), Corn Islands, etc. during this time of year, and if so - what recommendations do you have?

Would anyone know any central America spots that are not hit by rain and bad viz diving during these months?

I will be starting off in Playa del Carmen in late September 2011, and travelling south from there.

Thanks for all the advice and happy diving.

If you can pick up work over Xmas on Roatan you should make some pretty good money. You just have to time it right.

Other than that it's pretty quiet between September - December. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom