CoCo View Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulaPaul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are planning a trip to CoCo View Resort in Roatan in October and would like to hear from anyone who has already been there and done that! We are excited it sounds like a great place to have a scuba vacation. We are 'vacation divers' with 3 years experience and dive Nitrox. Paul

My wife and I were there in May of this year. We had a very good time. My wife did not like the Oceanview rooms that well. We were there for 2 weeks and had the over the water rooms (whatever they are called). The rooms are larger and she really liked those.

The grounds are well landscaped and very attractive. The food is good. It is not upper end but you have a decent variety of choices. I was always able to find something palatable.

You get your own dive locker within a few steps of your boat. That arrangement is very well thought out and the boats are fine.

On your second dive, you have your choice of Newman's Wall, Coco View Wall or the Prince Albert. When we were there, the visibility was pretty limited at the Prince Albert so we did not do it. On a swim by on one of the better days, I did notice that there was quite a bit of stuff on it. I heard that an eagle ray hangs out behind the wreck.

My wife and I much preferred Coco View Wall. Also the swim in can be quite interesting. I saw 3 small morays swimming through the turtle grass in broad daylight. That rather surprised me.

There is a platform just off shore in about 4' of water where you take off your fins and mask. I always checked underneath it. When I was there, there was a resident anemone, a sea urchin, a moray, a lobster, a trumpet fish and other assorted denizens.

The dive shop is quite good and the merchandise is reasonably priced.

The dive masters and crew were superb.

The amenities at the resort were a bit basic. But what makes a great resort is not the amenities, it is the staff. The staff there is very good, cheerful and they try their best to be helpful.

The diving is very good. There has been significant fishing pressure so you do not see that many sharks, large grouper and so on. But the marcro life is very good and the reefs are in pretty good shape. My wife had seen something like 6 sea horses in nearly 500 dives over 20 years. She saw twice that many at CoCo View. Sea horses are one of her favorites.

Now, it is all about diving. The diving is very good and so is the staff. It is not a place for people who want to go to a resort and do "some" diving.

They offer some seminars during the week and those are well worth attending.

My wife and I are planning a trip to CoCo View Resort in Roatan in October and would like to hear from anyone who has already been there and done that! We are excited it sounds like a great place to have a scuba vacation. We are 'vacation divers' with 3 years experience and dive Nitrox. Paul
Pat nailed it. Not much more to add.
When in October?

Please let me add, try and arrange a checkout dive the day you arrive... If you are able to do so you could do a night dive or a morning dive or catch the first boat out in the morning... It may cost 25.00 hire a private lesson to get this done but I often wish I knew about it before I arrived so at least I had a choice. If I remember correctly its like 25.00 whether its one or ten people. You usually arrive to CCV @ 2-3PM so you still have plenty of day time to get this out of the way. If not, you just do it the following morning but miss the boat cause they leave before the checkout dive is completed. No biggie as we just grabbed another tank and dove the reef a couple of times and took the afternoon boat.

Here is the CCV web site in case you did not know and it provides alot of info regarding bug spray (DDT or such and Cactus Juice) CoCo View Resort Roatan Scuba Roatan Diving located in Roatan, Honduras diving, scuba and snorkeling. "Chat" will have alot of info but by looking at the dates posted not many use it anymore... FB may be a better avenue... CoCo View Resort | Facebook

Thanks Lee that is excellent advice and I am going to email them to arrange that checkout dive so we can go out on the boat in the AM. Cheers Paul

Good luck... We will be returning in January ourselves! Oh, Not sure what the bugs are like in October but we used Cactus Juice (look online) and had no issues... Actually, I do not believe I used any at all except for the night of the cookout on the little spit just past the last Bungalow...

Another thing to keep in mind... On our last day (off gassing) we went into the West End and you can catch a fabulous sunset at the Eagle Rays Bar and Grill... We will be doing the zip lines since everyone that has done it says its a blast... just an fyi, if you catch a cab into town, the cost is between 50-60 dollars. A bit steep but they will also bring you back and then you pay. I was going to give 20.00 upfront but they said they would collect at the end. He picked us up at Eagle Rays... At least that has been my experience...! You can also save by splitting the cost with others as I believe its the same for 1 or 5 folks. May be some type of extra but not much...

Its nice easy diving so enjoy and prepare to be pampered...!!! lee

Last edited:
Oh, something I forgot to mention. For me, something seems to happen with a minimum of 4 hour long dives per day. Being even in warm water for that long seems to deflect the body temperature down some. I dove in a skin. Normally at those temperatures, I would have been fine for 3 dives/day. I found myself getting a little cold on the dives.

My wife always wears a 3 mm wet suit. She found herself getting cold.

In talking with the other divers, many people dive in thermal protection that is one bump over their normal protection. That is a person who dives in a skin might think of using a 3 mm wet suit part of the time, or wearing a rash guard with the skin. My wife plans on taking a 5 mm wet suit on the next trip.

Another thing with that amount of diving is the hazard. It isn't decompression. It is barotrauma. With all the changes of pressure and the constant getting water in your ears, the ears can take a beating. It is a good idea to descend and ascend a bit slower than normal. We always take an ear drier on dive trips. The things really help. My wife also bought little ear protectors that help lower the amount of water that gets into the ear. The things do not affect equalization. The dive shop at CoCo View sells them and at a pretty reasonable price.

I you have any room in your bag you can throw in some things for the kids on the island....they are having a toy drive now for Christmas goodies.....also school supplies and medical supplies are always needed through out the year....you can take anything you bring to Yansy at Playa Miguel beach Houses office at the resort.... here is the link you can see a list of what the kids need

Roatan Childrens Fund | Helping the children of Roatan

thanks and have a great trip

Back
Top Bottom