Big Corn Island, Nicaragua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpate637

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm going to the Corn Islands over Christmas. I would like any advice about who to dive with and where to eat and drink. Thanks!

I have lived/dived/worked on Big & Little Corn Islands. Go directly to Little Corn island to dive/eat/stay. Big Corn's only attraction is it has the only ATM. I managed the only "dive shop" on B/C & would NOT suggest it to anyone,period. L/C has (2) D/S and both I recommend. Also L/C is beautiful,quiet,no cars,good food,and no crime. At the A/P,take taxis to the ferry,catch the wild boat ride across to L/C. Remember Capt.Flaco's motto,"no one arrives dry". If I was going back I would stay at the Sunshine Hotel and dive with who ever made me the best deal. Clint @ DLC or Adam @ Dolphin. Be sure the go/dive 'Blowing Rock' the best site in Nicaragua. Walk around & eat at all the small places on both sides of the island. Do not get locked in one place;stay at one or two. Maybe start at Lobster Inn one night then look around. If you need more detailed info, PM me.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Krazytom is right.
Skip Big Corn 'cept for a day or two to check out the island.

Then head over to Little Corn for the best little island there is. The boat ride over can range from really hairy to glassy seas, windy weather can stop the boat for a few days at a time. The Sunshine is really cheap, there's lots more to chose from than that. Pretty much anything your looking for 'cept luxury. If you like simple, and affordable ranging from rustic to really rustic you'll have found heaven. It's one of the last places you can get a really cheap and rustic bungalow right on the beach for $15-$30. There's also more upscale rustic places to stay. Great food all over, laid back vibe, friendly people. I've dove quite a bit over two visits (over 40 dives), overall it's nice diving. Blowing Rock is the tops! really cool site. Last year there was a pack of reef sharks hanging around the east side of Little Corn.Watching them cruise the reef was one of my top 5 dives. That time of year the wind can blow and make diving the east side not possible, and getting to Blowing Rock hard. Both shops are rather conservative with C-cards being their biggest business. Expect shallow dives that an experienced diver can make last for 60-85 min end right at the 45 min mark.( the upside is really cheap dives $25/tank) I use Dive Little Corn, and have made good friends with the staff, they are very friendly and professional.

I Love the island it's one of my favorite places on Earth!

Im headed to Nicaragua with a friend, with the corn islands being one of the destinations. I'll be taking a referral from my dive master in the states to corn island (or where ever else I end up) so I can get my two open sea dives and get my diving certification. Do you think that the dive shops in Nicaragua will be amiable towards providing me this service? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom