Thanksgiving (Nov. 19) – where to go in Central America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alisonjones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My hubby and I want to book a 5-night dive trip and are leaning toward Central America. What recommendations do you have? I want to avoid vacation-spoilers (e.g. sand fleas, difficult/time-sapping travel connections, rainy season...). We don't enjoy roughing it on holiday, so pleasant accommodations and easy access to diving is mandatory. Any input is very much appreciated!

Costa Rica, Playas del Coco

Your criteria and the November time frame does not lend itself well to any of the better Central American diving.

The Bay Islands can be predictably wet, and anything North of there will be wetter if not more exposed to tropical storms. The South side of the Bay Islands would likely be do-able, but there really isn't much on the entire island that fits into the category of "luxury"... one way or the other, anywhere you go might be thought of as "roughing-it".

Your 5 Night criteria throws a serious monkey wrench into your travel criteria for avoiding "difficult/time-sapping travel connections". Ease of travel = Saturday to Saturday for most Caribbean Central American destinations out of Atlanta.

Your criteria of "We don't enjoy roughing it on holiday, so pleasant accommodations and easy access to diving is mandatory" is vague enough that any reply suggestion might be acceptable.

In November, for my money, if you were hooked on this general region, I would look at Bonaire or Curacao. Still a fair (4/10) quality of diving, if you want to pay for it- there are lovely resorts, no sand flies, and fairly easy air access from Atlanta (even on a 5 day mission).

Have you considered cruise ship diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom