Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fanthomdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,

Looking for honest opinions and a general consensus. Which one is a better diving destination overall BELIZE or ROATAN (Honduras)? By overall, I mean underwater features (corals, fishes, underwater formations etc.), value of dive and hotel packages, ease of travel, etc. I'd like to go to one or the other and it's my first time and with a limited budget. I've been to other Caribbean places but haven't done these 2 yet. :shakehead:

Thanks!

Personal opinion.

The diving is better in Belize than Roatan.
Diving is probably less expensive in Roatan and even less expensive in Utila.
However, Airfare to Roatan can be a killer so that single item alone may make your decision for you.

If you have never been to either, Belize has more non diving activities.
Both locales are fine and you will enjoy which ever one you decide on.

Reactions: Doc
Hello,

That's not a simple question. Roatan is an island. Belize is a country with many diving destinations (the atolls, Ambergris Caye, Placencia, etc.).

In terms of travel, you can fly directly into Roatan from the US on Continental or Delta. The airfare is often quite high because of the low competition and relatively low demand. Also, the flights only run on certain days of the week. You may get a lower fare if you fly into San Pedro Sula and then take a one or two hop puddle jumper to Roatan but that adds time. You can fly into Belize everyday but since there is only one international airport in Belize, you must take a second hop to your final spot.

In terms of diving, that depends. I've been to Roatan numerous times and to Ambergris Caye twice. I have not visited the other parts of Belize (including the atolls). If one is only comparing Roatan with only Ambergris Caye, I personally prefer Roatan. The walls on Roatan are beautiful. Ambergris Caye has lots of "spur and groove" areas. It comes down to preference.

With regard to non-diving activities, I agree with the above poster. Belize has so much to offer in terms of Mayan ruins, hiking, etc. The tourism infrastructure is pretty well developed. As far as conveniences, with Ambergris Caye in particular, there are a lot of restaurants, bars, etc. that are all in town and very easy to access. You don't need to take taxis or rent cars. San Pedro is quite walkable. Roatan is more spread out. Depending on where you are going, taxis can be very expensive. The other parts of Belize may be a different matter altogether.

Belize is an English-speaking country. While some residents who have come from neighboring countries may not speak English, English is the dominant language. Roatan has an English history. While the native islanders often prefer English, you will encounter more of the Spanish language since that is the national language of Honduras. You will find more native Hondurans who do not speak English. With the tourism areas (hotels and dive shops) you will have no problem speaking English. The "flavor" of the locations is somewhat different.

So...as far as which is better...that kind of depends. Sorry to not give a simple answer, but your question is a little more broad than you might realize.

Thanks guys! Your valuable insights are very much appreciated. I am now leaning on Belize but it may still change. A local diveshop is putting together a trip to Roatan with Cocoview Resort. It is natural for them to hype up the trip to sell it but I always look for 3rd party unbiased opinions before making the call. The trip is in May. It's a 7-night all inclusive package (w/o airfare) for $1295. I'm doing some window shopping for other Roatan or Belize possibilities. I'd like to see the Blue Hole so that is a plus for Belize. :wink:

I'll give you an option for Roatan and Ambergris Caye.

Roatan. I personally have not stayed at CocoView but I have heard many good reviews. I usually stay at Las Rocas (Roatan - Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, Bay Islands of Honduras) in West Bay. There's a dive shop on site as well as a restaurant. You can do a meal plan and dive package if you want.

Ambergris Caye, Belize: Chuck and Robbie's or Ecologic for diving. For lodging, Blue Tang or Paradise Villas. Neither has a restaurant but you are near lots of them.

There are many, many, many, many, many more options for each location and other locations within each country.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Last edited:
+1 for Cocoview. i dont think you'll be disappointed if you end up there.

ive not been disappointed diving Belize but nothing compares to the walls and reefs of Roatan.

roatan has better diving than ambergris caye and most other places in belize. unless you go to the southern atolls of belize (turneffe, blackbird, glovers etc.) which are great, roatan wins hands down.

I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that the diving from mainland Belize is nice but nothing spectacular. The atolls are the spectacular diving. I've never been to Honduras, nor have I dived from mainland Belize. I've been twice to Long Caye, Glover's Reef, Belize. It's a tiny, rustic, privately-owned island. The dive shop is Off the Wall Dive Resort. There are NO modern amenities, and the diving on Long Caye Wall is spectacular. You can book a dive package with Off the Wall which has ONLY diving, or you can book a package with Slickrock, which is the other resort on the island. Slickrock has a number of water activities, including windsurfing, sea kayaking, snorkeling, kayak surfing, etc. Diving is not included, but you can dive a la carte with Off the Wall if you're at Slickrock. That's what I did there.

Long Caye is a 2 1/2 to 3-hour hellish boat ride from Belize City if you stay with Slickrock. Off the Wall takes its clients a shorter boat ride from a place south of Belize City. So it's a shorter boat ride but an additional flight. Long Caye is hell to get to from the U.S., but it's paradise once you get there, assuming you don't need air conditioning, indoor plumbing, etc.

The above posters make some good points about the fact that where you dive in Belize does make a difference. In general - the south is better than the north and the atolls are better than from the mainland. This is something to consider.

Same can be said of Roatan - the north side of the island can be a different dive experience than the south side of the island.

I have stayed at Coco View three times and will go back at some point. Even though I personally prefer Belize, the OP will have a good time regardless of the destination they decide on.

At some point do both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom