Dive Master Training in the Bay Islands or Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Good day all,

In 2012, I am looking to continue my dive training onto the Dive Master level. I would like to do the training in the Caribbean region, most preferably one of the Bay Islands. I have seen numerous PADI Dive Centers advertisements and have visited their websites. I have a few that appealed to my interested.
But I would like to narrow the search down before I start contacting the different training centers.

What I ask from this forum, can anyone offer their recommendation for a good training center within the Bay Islands or outer Caribbean? It would be so helpful if you could tell me why a dive center is good and not just that they are good.

My interests are:
  1. A good solid and robust education
  2. Not restricted to a time limit, i.e. I am not looking for a 12-day “Ta-Da You Are Now a DM”. If I truly complete the training in 12 days great, but my daughter was pushed thru a course and now is making it up in her Instructor’s Course.
  3. My ultimate goal is not to hire out on a live-aboard or resort, but to teach ocean conservation courses and introduce young people to the joys that diving brings, thus I too will continue on thru the professional training.
I have been diving for about three years, but have been a biologist and an educator for almost 20. I truly would appreciate fellow divers sharing their experiences. I know I still need to meet/visit the training center in person before I start any Dive Master Course, but I am curious to what people have to say and not just look at flashy Websites.

Thanks…

Michael

If your daughter is becoming an instructor why go elsewhere to work on your DM rating? Once she is an instructor she can teach and certify up to the dm level.

I would highly recommend Utila Dive Center in Honduras. Cheap lifestyle, good value, great people to work with and for, and - most importantly - a solid education at YOUR pace for your Dive Master. You will learn so much more there than your average course, and you will learn by DOING, not just watching. I took my OWSI and MSDT training there, and would go back in a heartbeat! For your money, I don't honestly think you'll do better anywhere: there is a reason PADI keeps giving them Platinum awards. They've earned every one, in my books. That IS my biased opinion, based on fact. Give Andy Phillips a call, and tell him Steve the Canadian (the one with cancer .. but he'll know) recommended the shop to you!!

Best of luck - and once I kick this crap, I'll see you come work with me perhaps one day in the Caymans!!!

Oh, and FWIW, I did it AFTER I turned 40 years old ... and love it! Just thought I'd throw that in there....:D

Last edited:
If your daughter is becoming an instructor why go elsewhere to work on your DM rating? Once she is an instructor she can teach and certify up to the dm level.

True. It may also on the other hand be good to do the course with someone other than a close family member to get a different experience.

I did my DM with Anja and Liber Garrido-Barnet on Roatan. They are now with Mayan Divers (Mayan Divers, PADI courses, dive packages. Enjoy scuba diving on Roatan, Honduras | Home). Anja and Liber were fantastic. I was 42 years old when I took the course and wanted to have instructors who were a little closer to me in age. Anja in particular had a lot of customer service experience from her previous corporate life that was very useful to me. In their current location, they can give you a lot of opportunity to learn how to run a business and get familiar with boats and compressors.

There are many other options on Roatan. If you want to go to the instructor level, then Utila is great. The Utila Dive Center is one of the best and can get you up to the instructor level. I believe they have instructor exams several times a year.

I would highly recommend Utila Dive Center in Honduras. Cheap lifestyle, good value, great people to work with and for, and - most importantly - a solid education at YOUR pace for your Dive Master. You will learn so much more there than your average course, and you will learn by DOING, not just watching. I took my OWSI and MSDT training there, and would go back in a heartbeat! For your money, I don't honestly think you'll do better anywhere: there is a reason PADI keeps giving them Platinum awards. They've earned every one, in my books. That IS my biased opinion, based on fact. Give Andy Phillips a call, and tell him Steve the Canadian (the one with cancer .. but he'll know) recommended the shop to you!!

Best of luck - and once I kick this crap, I'll see you come work with me perhaps one day in the Caymans!!!

Oh, and FWIW, I did it AFTER I turned 40 years old ... and love it! Just thought I'd throw that in there....:D

My biased opinion is that this biased opinion is spot on! I also did my instructor training at UDC, and will say that the candidates in my IDC who were DMs trained by UDC were head and shoulders above the rest of us in many respects. Excellent skills training and preparation for the IDC. The one spot where some were light was on actual experience as a DM, but that is due to their personal decision to proceed to IDC immediately following DM, as opposed to reflecting on the DM training. Again, I think that the DM training offered by UDC was thorough and very well-done.

And when you are talking to Andy, tell him Kari (also from Canada) said hello, and that I still have a DEMA headache that I'm blaming on him.

Steve - best of luck to you!

kari

Well, I have been diving with Coconut Tree Divers and have been impressed with their program. It is very thorough and takes a minimum of 6 weeks, which is why I haven't done it myself.

I am a big fan of Barefoot Divers at Barefoot Caye in Roatan. While I don't have first hand knowledge of their Divemaster course, I have dove with them and was extremely impressed. During my visit, they were working with a DM student who seemed extremely happy with their program. Their instructors are top notch all the way.

+1 for Coconut Tree Divers. While we only dove with them (no course) over a week I witnessed parts of two classes taught by Will, both seemed very complete and hands-on. Their DM trainees for the week often accompanied us on our afternoon dives. PJ & Gay(owners) are both great people, very helpful and friendly. One advantage CTD might have is that it's in the heart of the West End, a SB friend went through their program thru Instructor affordably after finding a good, inexpensive apt. All sorts of food options are walking distance also. Will has a website that might be of some use: http://www.bayislandsdiver.com/divemaster_courses.html

We also had a great user experience with Barefoot Divers.

I would like to thank the posters for the great suggestions.

While I would do my DM training thru my daughter, she is taking her IDC back in the states and I want a differnet classroom. But thank you for the suggestion.

I have visted the UDC website frequently and at this point in time is one of the places I plan to contact. I am so glad to hear that others have had a great experience thru them as well. One of the key selling points with them is there Project Aware and other environmental efforts. That fits into my plans very nicely.

I will also look at Mayan Divers, Coconut Tree Divers and Barefoot Divers as well. I am a firm beleiver in word-of-mouth referrals. :cool2:

Apertyk...once you kick that crap, give me a jingle and I will be more than happy to come dive with you. God speed with your treatments and cheers to getting on with your life. :D

Thanks all...

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom