Costa Rica snorkeling advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BaaBee D

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going to retire in Costa Rica and haven't decided what region we will live in. Snorkeling is our top priority. Can you share ANY snorkeling info (good and bad) for various locations in Costa Rica. Thanks!

There is plenty of good snorkeling in Guanacaste, but it is the most developed and touristy area. There is some good snorkeling in Osa, but it is much less reliable due to large rivers dumping lots of sediment into the ocean when it rains. The Caribbean coast has some great snorkeling when you can see anything, which from my experience is not very often.

We just got home from a trip to the Southern Caribbean coast. We had ~ 20-30 ft visibility. The variety of fish was very nice - but the numbers were on the low side. The reef looks like it is coming back ~ mostly soft corals, and small patches of new hard coral. We were a bit disappointed (as Fodor's stated that it was "high quality" snorkeling) maybe taking a boat to reefs further out are better. We snorkel from the shore.

There is way too much sediment there for the reef to be in great shape. It is national park in Montezuma, but it still gets fished and the fish are not very numerous and are very shy. My wife and I did a couple of nice dives off Montezuma several years ago but the vis was only about 20 ft.

In general the shore snorkelling in Costa Rica isn't the best. With viz changing throughout the year it can be difficult. Offshore trips to places like tortuga offer better options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom