Thinking of going to coiba. Is it worth the trek?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richh32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a couple ideas for a trip but wanted to get a little feedback before I started planning. Is the trek to Coiba in Panama worth it? And what I mean by that is the logistics. Depending on the flights for me its a day of flying an overnight stay in Panama city and then a 5hr bus/car ride. So basically 4 days of travel there and back. It I know its called the "New Galapagos" and all but I have heard conflicting stories. Has anyone been there recently and have any advice?

My other trip is a land based trip to the Galapagos. I dont have the funds for a liveaboard to go to Wolf/Darwin. I have a free flight so basically I just have to pay for my room and diving. Is the land based diving at the closer islands worth the trip or should I just wait to go on a liveaboard?

Thanks in advance

PM njones259. I know he has been there and loved it.

Some of us look to see what "cobia" is?

Land based trip to the Galapagos...?

Some of us look to see what "cobia" is?

Land based trip to the Galapagos...?

Coiba (not "cobia") is a large island off the Pacific Coast of Panama. Diving is by liveaboard or by local dive operators who base themselves at Santa Catalina, on the mainland, or on Coiba itself. Coiba is a combination national park and penal colony. Lodging arrangements on the island are rustic to say the least.

Although I travel to Panama fairly often and dive both Portobelo and Bocas del Toro, I haven't dove Coiba, yet. The diving there is supposed to be spectacular with lots of pelagics, large schools of barracuda and other large fish, manta rays and whale sharks. Humpback whales calve there from July to October. The downsides of Coiba are 1) it's a full day's drive from Panama City; 2) it's a long ride in a small, open boat to the dive sites from Santa Catalina; 3) it is often hit with advanced diving conditions - strong currents, heavy surge and, in some cases, blue-water diving.

Coiba is a great trip and can't wait to get back there.Herbie at scuba coiba is a great guy and they run a good operation.We saw humpback whale,mantas,dolphins every dive.Also saw hammerheads and plenty of sharks.I didn't stay on coiba but did the hour boat ride every day.
Also the dives in Santa Catalina are very good.The reason you don't hear much about coiba is because it is difficult to get,we rented a car got lost in Panama City and drove for about 6 hours before we got to Santa catalina.There are no ATM's no cell phone service and 1 pay phone in town.You eat what the restaurants in town have in stock and a good breakfast runs $2.50 and dinner might set you back $6.50.
Do yourself a favor and go to Coiba when you can.I have been to Cocos and like Coiba more.The town is safe and friendly but kind of like going to the old west.

Coiba was fastastic.Stayed on the island for 3 days.Will go back. The drive is more like 6-7 hours if you don't get stopped. Well worth the time.It's a beautiful country. Coiba Dive center , great operators.

Back
Top Bottom