Costa Rica - Catalina or Cano (March / April)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We'll be in Costa Rica (via San Jose) at the very end of March and I've got about 2 days set aside to do some diving. We're looking at either the Catalina Islands (Bat Islands appear to be too rough this time a year?) or Cano Island. I'm really interested to see the large mantas in the Catalinas, but I don't want to be disappointed and Cano Island sounds like better overall diving. Will I see any of the big stuff at Cano? What are others thoughts?

I read through this post, but most info was on Cano. Is Catalina not a contender?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/388027-costa-rica-catalina-cano.html

We have done both, unless you are staying at Drake Bay, Cano is a really long boat ride. We have seen mantas at tha Catalinas but not at Cano. Many more white tips at Cano though. We have only been to either in January and February, a friend was in Osa in March and said it was obscenely hot and humid, Guanacaste should be very hot, but not so humid.

I have not heard of manta rays at cano, but I have to be honest, this year we have not had too many mantas at the Catalina's, however we did have some on the local dives, I guess it is like all dive sites, a hit or miss :)

There have been some smaller manta sightings at Cano over the past couple of weeks, not so many giant mantas. As always plenty of sharks and large sting rays as well.

Thanks! It appears that we'll be heading to Drake Bay and diving Cano Island for a couple of days. It ended up working out better with our trip, and it didn't seem that making the effort to head North was worth it.

I'll provide a report if people are interested. Working on booking with Costa Rica Diving (attached to Jinetes de Osa?) and staying at Finca Maresia.

I was this past weekend at Caño Island, 4 dives, everything was fine. leave from Sierpe, the boat trip to the island takes about an hour and a half, but the place is really worth it, if you will be is only two days, I would recommend playing it safe, is easier to find in good condition Caño Island. Drake is a very expensive place to go, only two days to go much better in Sierpe, a hotel with air conditioning, is at $ 20 a night.

Very cool; thanks for posting those! I'll hopefully post some pictures after our trip.

Cano Island is the best spot...but quite remoted and much more expensive than going to the Catalinas or Bat Island.

Bat island is great but only dive centers in Playa del Coco go there: it's about 1h30 / 2h from Playa del Coco.
In addition, there are not going to Bat island every day: when the wind blows from north to south, it's too choppy.
You should book some days in advance: they have to get their boat full of divers...if not, they won't go.
Last point, Bat Island is not so recommended for beginners due to the current and the big stuff you can spot down there : bull sharks, big mantas and whale shark.

Catalinas and local dives in Playa Del coco, Flamingo, Ocotal, Tamarido are pretty good and always very fishy.

I have some dive centers listed on my website if you want more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom