Bocas del Toro, Panama - Questions on Getting There

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am doing some research for a possible trip to Bocas del Toro, Panama. It seems that the carrier Aeroperlas is gone and that the only options for air travel are now Air Panama and Nature Air. I can't find any good experiences with Air Panama and do not know anything about Nature Air. Has anyone been to Bocas lately? If so, can you share your transportation experiences?

Thanks!

We were in Panama late February of this year. We traveled from Panama City to San Blas Islands & although we did not fly ourselves, we picked up a couple at Albrook airport in Panama City and traveled overland to the Caribbean coast. They flew Air Panama from San Jose because they are from Argentina & for some reason; they have no direct flights to Panama. When I looked into flying from San Jose to Bocas del Toro the only flights were with Nature Air but were always booked on the dates that we chose. Air Panama flys out of Panama City to Bocas but be careful because it flys from Albrook (regional airport) and not Tocomen - PTY (international). Albrook is the old US airbase in the Canal Zone, quite a distance from Tocomen.

I've flown to and from Bocas a number of times. As a matter of fact, my wife, two friend and I are going there a week from today.

There's no problem flying Air Panama to Bocas. Since Aeroperlas pulled out of Panama, Air Panama has increased flights to and from Bocas. And, it looks like Copa will also begin flying there from Tocumen.

Aeorperlas was a part of TACA ... one of the worst run airlines in the world. (Check out the forum comments on Trip Advisor.) Panamanian regulations dicated that the two airlines, Aeroperlas and Air Panama, had to charge the same rates for their destinations. Aeroperlas said, "It's not in our business model" and pulled out on February 29. We originally had reservations for this trip on Aeroperlas. Fortunately, I was able to get the charges refunded and get new reservations on Air Panama.

As far as service, there was really very little difference between the two airlines. Their flight schedules were within a couple of minutes of each other for nearly every destination. Their equipment was/is very similar -- turbo props. For delays and cancellations - not much difference there, either. Once in David and once in Bocas, when it looked like my Aeroperlas flight was going to be late, I changed my ticket and got the on-time flight on Air Panama.

You can get much better service out of Albrook (aka Marcos Gelebert) than out of San Jose via Nature Air. Nature Air only flies to Bocas two or three times a week. Nature Air flies a much, much smaller plane. Which means if they're approaching the weight limit, guess what's gong to be left on the tarmac? Your dive bag. Good luck getting it from Costa Rica to Panama. When you get to Bocas, you'll also have to deal with immigration, paying for a tourist card and coming up with the $40 (cash only) exit fee. Fly Air Panama ... take an extra day in and around Panama City and see a little bit more of the country before or after visiting Bocas.

Air Panama's website is in English -- even when purchasing your tickets. (Aeroperlas old site turned to Spanish only during the ticket buying phase.) But, if you're buying tickets more than six weeks out, you'll get a notice that flights aren't available. They doesn't necessarily mean they're booked. It's more likely their system is overloaded. If you continue to have trouble, contact the place where you'll be staying, either in Panama City or in Bocas, and ask them to book your flights for you. Most hotels and B&Bs will do this.

When you get to Bocas, there is one dive operator that stands out over all the others; Bocas Water Sports. Besides being a PADI 5-Star facility, they have the best instructor/DMs of any operator I have dove with anywhere in Panama. Panamanians aren't noted for a high degree of customer service/customer focus. BWS is.

I hope you get a chance to see and dive Bocas. If you like macro, you'll love it.

Thanks for the info. It seems like Air Panama's web site is only displaying flights through the end of April. I'll certainly take your advice about working through the hotel if I make this trip.

Thanks for the info. It seems like Air Panama's web site is only displaying flights through the end of April. I'll certainly take your advice about working through the hotel if I make this trip.

For what it is worth, Google Chrome as a "translate this page" feature built in. I have been doing a lot of stuff with Mexico
lately and its been a great tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom