Cocos Islands, Costa Rica and Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btonthemove

Registered
Reaction score
I really want to dive Cocos Islands and considering going over December or January. I’ll be travelling from Australia so want to spend at least 4 weeks in Central America. Has anyone done this trip before?

Will I still see hammerheads in December/January? Any recommendations on where else to go? Is Belize worth it or should I just spend 4 weeks in Cost Rica? Or maybe a quick trip to Mexico – I’ve always wanted to go there. Recommendations on liveaboards for Cocos would be good to. There are various reviews online, the cheaper ones have the not so great reviews of course, the boats seem to have been falling apart en route, and dive masters are spending more time taking photos for themselves rather than show guests cool stuff. I definitely don’t want a boat with selfish DMs.

I’ve just decided all this yesterday I want to do this so am completely open to any suggestions as haven’t booked a thing. Also, any recommendations on airlines to get me there.
Or, for those that have done both, is Galapagos better?

For Cocos liveaboard, Undersea Hunter. . . (went for ten days in 2009, and will go again this July 2012).

The best all-around zoologist/naturalist paradise for both land & marine animals is the Galapagos (was there for seven days in 2009 as well).
Dive Galapagos Islands with Dancer Fleet LiveAboards

If I had four weeks, I would do two-weeks exploring Galapagos (Ecuador) and one-and-a-half diving Cocos Island Costa Rica, with the remaining schedule as travel days. . .

for cocos go with Under sea Hunter Argos

December not as good for hammerheads, I was there in dec 2011, for me It was great, but other guys on trip said they have seen better. Was on aggressor, not bad, but sea hunter seems a lot better, cant say for galapagos, going there this october.

Any of the boats with the Undersea Hunter Group are the only boats I would consider. I've been on the Undersea Hunter twice, and the Argo once. The Argo is nicer, but I would not hesitate to go on the Undersea Hunter.

December may not be the best time of year for hammerheads, but they may still be there. June-September is the best time for Cocos, and you're more likely to see whale sharks then. I'd pay close attention to the El Niño forecasts. If the water around Cocos warms up, the hammers will leave. 2 years ago the hammerhead action was pretty slow, and there were El Niño conditions then. Last years the waters were colder (la Nina) and sharks were eberywhe.

I am heading to Cocos July 14th -24th right in the middle of Hammerhead season. I had 2 people drop out of the trip because of family issues, but am looking to fill the spots. Know anyone who might be interested?

Do not dive cocos in February!!! It was not good at all. Hardly any hammerheads. A small whale shark was seen by a few people. Not good vis. We went this pastFebruary. Fortunately, On our last dive we were buddy breathing in 10ft of water and finally the tiger shark snuck up behind us. That was exciting.

I am also travelling from Australia to visit Cocos Island, however I'm going over in June/July this year for 5 weeks. I'm going on the Undersea Hunter's "Sea Hunter" boat, which fit my dates and had really good recommendations from everyone I spoke to (not just online). I know it's a bit of a hike all the way from Perth to CR, so I'm spending a week before the dive trip doing some land-based sightseeing on the mainland to basically unwind and get over the jetlag. After the diving I'm spending a week in Mexico visiting friends and then heading to the US for a bit. I may do another few days diving here and there in Mexico and the US, but nothing's planned or booked in that regard.

As for flights, it's been a pain in the ass due to lack of direct flights. I'm flying Perth-Sydney-LA on Qantas. LA-Miami-Costa Rica on American Airlines. Costa Rica-Cancun on Aeromexico. Cancun-New York on American Airlines, and then New York-LA-Sydney-Perth on Qantas.

Edit: Just noticed date of original post. Why was this dragged up again?

May I know the weakness of Okeanos Aggressor when compare with Undersea Hunter Group fleets? About diving or rooms or about food? I have booked a trip with Okeanos Aggressor next year so I am curious about it.

I am also travelling from Australia to visit Cocos Island, however I'm going over in June/July this year for 5 weeks. I'm going on the Undersea Hunter's "Sea Hunter" boat, which fit my dates and had really good recommendations from everyone I spoke to (not just online). I know it's a bit of a hike all the way from Perth to CR, so I'm spending a week before the dive trip doing some land-based sightseeing on the mainland to basically unwind and get over the jetlag. After the diving I'm spending a week in Mexico visiting friends and then heading to the US for a bit. I may do another few days diving here and there in Mexico and the US, but nothing's planned or booked in that regard.

As for flights, it's been a pain in the ass due to lack of direct flights. I'm flying Perth-Sydney-LA on Qantas. LA-Miami-Costa Rica on American Airlines. Costa Rica-Cancun on Aeromexico. Cancun-New York on American Airlines, and then New York-LA-Sydney-Perth on Qantas.

Edit: Just noticed date of original post. Why was this dragged up again?

Wetpup,

Approx how much are your flights Perth-Costa Rica return. More than $3000???
I would like to return to Cocos. Last time i went i was based in the UK. Travelling to Cocos from Oz is a nightmare.

I was on the Undersea hunter. Excellent crew & operation. Would highly recommend any of their boats (Argo, sea hunter,undersea hunter).
I was there Feb/Mar 2009. Water was too warm for good shark action. I had a disappointing trip so i would like to return to see the real Cocos!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom