Drake Bay/Cano Island/Corcovado Costa Rica help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishtn

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to start the preliminary planning for a trip to Drake Bay/Corcovado National Park. It will be a family vacation, kids and grandparents, but I would like to do a few days of diving. Can anyone tell me any information about that area, Cano Island diving, the National Park, places to stay, etc etc. I realize this is a very broad question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have been to Drake Bay once. We stayed at Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp. It is not what I would call camping, but you are in a tent. The tents are on raised platforms with lots of room. There are two double beds in each tent with a small table between them and room at the foot of the beds for your stuff. There is a tart over the platform and the tent is under the tarp, so no hot tent out in the sun situation and there is room on the platform for a couple of chairs and a clothes line. We dove Isla Del Cano from there and it is our favorite place to dive in Costa Rica and Drake Bay is the closest point of approach to Cano. From the tent camp they offer two different trips into Corcovado National Park, a short trip to the north edge of the park and a much longer trip to Sirena at the center of the park's coast. The trip to Sirena is well worth the extra money. There is good snorkelling right in front of the tent camp. One night we all ate the fish that an Australian guy caught with a hand line within about 50' of shore. the wildlife in the area is spectacular. Drake Bay is very remote and your food is usually included because there is nowhere else to go.

If you want something a little more civilized, the area around Ojochal and Uvita is very nice, not too built up, but lots of choices of places to stay and some really fine restaurants. In Uvita Mad About Diving is a good operation and they go to Cano most days, but it is a 1 1/2 hr boat ride each way. No matter where you are staying, Cano has the best visibility of any place we have been in Costa Rica.

I highly recommend La Paloma. Great cottages and food plus on site dive operator.

My wife and I stayed at Drakes Bay 30 of Jan 2012 and we were there for 6 days. We stayed at Finca Maresia, I think that spelling is close. It is a farm that some spanish bought and built bungalows. Nice place, it´s up on top of the hill, by the tents. check it out on the internet. The finca is a good walk from the water, beach, so bear that in mind. One of the owners is Juan Azorin (juanzorin@gmail.com) He is the owner, cook, guide and chofer. Very fine man. He set us up with all the tours, etc. He deals in cash but the bungalows have room safes.
We dove four time with Jinetes de Osa. I dive, my wife snorkels. Here´s how it worked with us: Juan dropped us off at the beach, the dive boat from the Jinetes picks you up with all the gear loaded, or you can walk to their place, it´s up to you and your energy level.. They take you to the island, about 45 minutes. They check in at the ranger station, then you proceed to the first dive site. Divers in the water, snorkelers are guided to their area with life vests. After the dive, it´s a trip to Caño island to eat the provided lunch, use the bathroom, walk around, etc. then it´s back in the boat for the second dive, snorkelers can snorkel or hang out on the beach. Then you roar back to Drakes bay. We dove the shipwreck, 63 ft, Cueva de Tiburones, 54 ft. El jardin 57 ft and El bajo del diablo limited to 70 ft. There are white tip sharks and all sorts of other stuff. My wife, a timid snorkeler saw sharks and a turtle, and had to swim through a wall of fish. I think she saw more than me, at least she was very excited and happy for what she saw. 2 days diving, I brought my own gear was 220.00, two days snorkeling, hiking for the wife, lunches included was 150.00. Total dive, snorkel was 370.00 paid through the internet. To get to Drakes bay we flew Nature Air, it costs around $200.00 per person but you can check that out too. It took us about 45 minutes to fly there. Juan had the taxi waiting at the airstrip. We also went to the Corcovado ranger station, nice book trip getting there, lots of birds to see, lots of walking, about half a day trip. Lots or walking...lunch provided. At the end we at lunch where a river goes into the sea, alligators sunning themselves and Bull sharks patrolling the entrance, at least they said they were bull sharks and you could see the fins slicing through the water. Lots of stuff to do, diving was nice, more current on some dives than I´m used to but I live near the Caribbean and I´m old. To sum it up, I´d like to go to Caño Island again.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. Anybody know anything about Drake Bay Lodge? Also, I'm thinking of splitting the trip up 4 days one place, 4 days another. Thought about having one "rough", and one a little more "plush". MAybe the Tent camp for 4 and then a lodge for 4?
The diving sounds just what I'm looking for.

I stayed at Jinetes lodge. Several steps above a tenting experience but not up to La Paloma or Aauilas, but then again now where near the cost. Very homey environment. They have a dive shop with trips out to Cano Island. I was there for a week, dove for 5 days. Weather didn't cooperate so we were limited to just a couple of dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom