Costa Rica - best diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lfshadow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about going to Costa Rica. Where is the best diving? Caribbean or Pacific? Near town____?
Any other help or tips would be be great.
Website recommendations?
Dive shop recommendations...?
... or does Costa Rica not really have very good diving?
Also, I prefer warm Tropical clear water with reefs. (Like those in Cozumel, Caribbean, etc.)
Thanks

Sorry, no clear tropical waters with reefs. On the Caribbean coast there are some reefs, but more often than not, you cannot dive as there is zero visibility. When you can dive the best we have experienced is about 20' of vis. The best visibility we have seen is at Isla Del Cano. We have been there with several different operations the best being Mad About Diving in Uvita. The negative there is a 1 1/2 hr boat ride each way. Lots of white tips and other large critters and some really nice fish, but no reefs.

The other spot that sticks out is the Catalina Islands, again we have been there with several different operations, the most professional being El Ocotal Resort in Ocotal, but it is a long boat trip from there and they charge a lot for that trip. I recommend Costa Rica Diving in Flamingo, Harald is a lot of fun and they are cheaper than the others in the area. We have heard great things about the Bat Islands, but we can only get there in winter and the seas are too rough that time of year for such a long open water boat trip. The best dive my wife and I ever made was at the Catalina Islands. Devil rays swimming at the surface, dolphins riding the bow wave all the way out and a humpback surfaced right in front of the boat. Once in the water, we have never seen so much life of every description anywhere. The entire dive we were listening to the humpbacks and at our safety stop three 12' mantas combed my wife's hair whlie we were completely surrounded by hundreds of barracuda.

There is a lot to see diving Costa Rica, but if you want Caribbean visibility forget it. The Caribbean is a nutrient poor environment, thus clear water. The eastern Pacific is a nutrient rich environment, thus much poorer visibility, but lots of life.

what is the site for Costa Rica Diving in Flamingo? I have tried googling them but i am unsure which one it is.

Sorry, no clear tropical waters with reefs. On the Caribbean coast there are some reefs, but more often than not, you cannot dive as there is zero visibility. When you can dive the best we have experienced is about 20' of vis. The best visibility we have seen is at Isla Del Cano. We have been there with several different operations the best being Mad About Diving in Uvita. The negative there is a 1 1/2 hr boat ride each way. Lots of white tips and other large critters and some really nice fish, but no reefs.

The other spot that sticks out is the Catalina Islands, again we have been there with several different operations, the most professional being El Ocotal Resort in Ocotal, but it is a long boat trip from there and they charge a lot for that trip. I recommend Costa Rica Diving in Flamingo, Harald is a lot of fun and they are cheaper than the others in the area. We have heard great things about the Bat Islands, but we can only get there in winter and the seas are too rough that time of year for such a long open water boat trip. The best dive my wife and I ever made was at the Catalina Islands. Devil rays swimming at the surface, dolphins riding the bow wave all the way out and a humpback surfaced right in front of the boat. Once in the water, we have never seen so much life of every description anywhere. The entire dive we were listening to the humpbacks and at our safety stop three 12' mantas combed my wife's hair whlie we were completely surrounded by hundreds of barracuda.

There is a lot to see diving Costa Rica, but if you want Caribbean visibility forget it. The Caribbean is a nutrient poor environment, thus clear water. The eastern Pacific is a nutrient rich environment, thus much poorer visibility, but lots of life.

Hmmm..... that's kind of what I thought from the info I've found online. Thanks for your help.

Costa Rica is not the place to do a dive trip. But if you are looking for a great place to go for a vacation and want to do some really fun diving with lots of life and the opportunity for some large animal action Costa Rica is my first choice. The southern part of the Pacific coast is our favorite part of the country with jungle covered mtns coming right down to the ocean. There is lots of wildlife, on our last two trips to that area we saw jaguarundi, there are always howler and capuchin monkeys and if you get into Cocovado you will also see spider and squirrel monkeys. Scarlet macaws toucans are all over. Inland just 30 miles there are 12,000 ft. mtns. The beaches are not white sand as in the Caribbean, but how many Caribbean beaches can you go to a beach every day for eight days and not see another person, Playa Tortuga in Ojochal is one such beach. The people are very friendly and this part of Costa Rica is not nearly as built up as the northern part of the Pacific coast and it has a very pronounced dry season from December to April.

The diving at Cano is outstanding, if you stay in Drake Bay, it is a ten mile boat trip, from Ojochal or Uvita its more like forty miles. Drake Bay is a really cool place to stay, but tends to be a little more expensive as all meals are included because there is nowhere else to go eat. In the Uvita or Ojochal area there are some really good restaurants and lots of places to rent a house with a kitchen so you don't have to eat out every meal.

Actually, the best diving in Costa Rica is approx 500km offshore from the mainland . . .Period.

Cocos Island

Been there in 2009, and going back this July. . .

No doubt about Isla Del Coco, but we haven't been able to afford that yet.

I would agree with bfuqua. Rich Coast Diving in Playas del Coco is Excellent.It is not Caribbean diving.The underwater landscape is mostly mounts and lots of rocks.The vis. is not like Cozumel, but it rewards you with Amazing fish life.Try going for a week and you will fall in Love with the Country and the People.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom