Places to stay in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggiebq86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at Coconut Tree Cabins and Reef House Resort. Could folks give me pros and cons about each of these? How do these compare for lodging, amenities, dive ops, etc? Some in our party aren't big divers so snorkeling and beach relaxation are important as well.

I'm looking for a plain, clean place in Roatan to vacation. I would prefer someplace with either an onsite dive op or one close by. On the beach with shore diving available.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

No beach at Cocoview. Snorkeling is OK - but not much else to do there but dive.

My friends stayed at Coconut Tree cabins several years ago. We dove with them all week also. PJ & Gay run a good outfit. The cabins themselves are older, secluded, the ones on the south side are blocked by the 3+ story Coconut Tree main building in front of them. I think there's some across the road but IDK if they'd have a water view. Friends shared a 2BR, it had a full, large kitchen and small living/dining area - six of us mostly filled it up sitting around. The studios are adequate but no appliances except a mini-frig. There's a small store in the CTD building and Woody's - the bigger market in the West End - is a block away. Good restaurants in all price ranges within a block in either direction and some good bars. Also a lot of local shops. Friday night the whole street is active. Sundowners Bar just across the street is on the beach and has reasonable - but simple - food. Also an Internet cafe.

The beach and dive dock are just across the street. There's no shore dive off Half Moon Bay Beach unless you want to swim a long way out. CTD offered to drop us out there one afternoon if we wanted to swim back in. There is a dive off the east point of Half Moon Bay - you get in at Seagrape Plantation landing and drift around the point to Half Moon Bay Cabins to get out. About a 5min. walk to the West End from there - I rented a house on the point.

A little more upscale option might be Luna Beach Resort. Obviously it's on a beach, they have a dive operator on-site and snorkeling. Also a swimming pool and on-site restaurant and bar(s). No shore dive there either though. It's at the far end of walking distance to the main part of the West End but there's a water taxi.

There's also a few rental houses off the Spooky Channel dive site which is shore accessible and has a beach - here's one in the complex. Sandy Bay Vacation Rental - VRBO 113673 - 2 BR Roatan House in Honduras, Paradise Found at Spooky Channel Villa, Roatan, Honduras but finding off-site tank rentals in the West End or Sandy Bay is tough on Roatan. I've heard Sueno Del Mar will - afaik Coconut Tree doesn't.

Bananarama in West Bay meets all your criteria also afaik except for shore diving. There are good dives farther out off West Bay but I think it's too sandy/shallow near shore - but I've never seen it from that side - only from a diveboat. http://www.bananaramadive.com/

I've never been to Reef House but I understand it's pretty isolated. Not sure if casual divers would find enough other stuff to do nearby. They don't appear to have a beach either - just concrete steps down to the waterline.

I guess "beach" may not be a accurate word. I think as long as there is a longe chair, water, and frozen drinks the rest of the party would be happy. I don't think long walks on the beach was required. :D

Foster's (http://www.fostersroatan.com) on West Bay is a great place with a beach, onsite dive shop (http://www.anemonadivers.com) We have stayed there several times. The last trip the rooms seemed to be needing maintenance, but great people, small beach cabana restaurant/bar on location. Several restaurants & other dive shops within walking distance on the beach. Have fun

---------- Post added May 12th, 2012 at 06:24 AM ----------

If you stay on West Bay, there are water taxis to West End which is the easiest & cheapest way to see the shoreline, but they stop running at sundown. We found that out on the first trip there, had to take a land taxi back to Foster's. Great area though. You can also arrange a car rental at their office for a day of running around. I recommend a Jeep type vehicle, bimini top in case of rain, hot sun

Nothing beats Anthony's Key resort......for the price and all meals included, we got to do it all.

Back
Top Bottom