Costa Rica Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocobello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any good diving south of Jaco Costa Rica. We have heard that most of the diving is north of that location. Are there many hotels or resorts in the south of C.R. ?
Thanks for any information.

The most reliable visibility in Costa Rica, short of going to Isla Del Coco, is at Isla Del Cano. We have been there only once when the vis was bad and that was the morning after an earthquake that was centered five miles south of the island. We have been to quite a few sites in the north and never seen as good vis as at Cano. There is always a lot to see. The only negative is the long boat trip if you are not staying at Drake Bay. From Uvita it is 42 miles each way. It has always been worth the boat ride, especially if you can arrange a three tank trip. We have been to Drake Bay and loved Corcovado Adventures Tent camp, but only did a snorkel trip because my wife was not yet a diver. Have made the trip from Ojochal and Uvita, Uvita is a little longer ride but Mad About Diving is a much better operation than Mystic Dive Center in Ojochal. This is my favorite part of Costa Rica, jungle covered mountains coming right down to the ocean, not so much development and a more laid back atmosphere. If you want to see the wildlife Costa Rica is known for, you will see a lot more of it in the south than in Guanacaste. Ojochal also has some really good restaurants and some cool places to stay.

Great diving south, at isla del cano and Manuel Antonio area(depending on time of year) Check out Oceans Unlimited.

Wasn't impressed with Manuel Antonio. Only dove there as it fit our vacation. Next time will head for the Osa peninsula or north for the available Catalina Islands.

So much of the different dives in Costa Rica are seasonal. Most consistent I would say is Cano which is then closed in October. Best viz there is from December through to July. Manuel Antonio is nice, with best time to visit between December and May. The Bats are fab, went there in August but I think between November and June time it's tricky to go due to winds and viz. Catalinas are fun for rays though to about August time I think and playa del coco is pretty consistent throughout the year (can get really cold and bad viz in Jan/Feb time that I've seen! )
Just my thoughts... from my time here for 7 years...

Folks, what is the water like in January on the Pacific side of Costa Rica? Will 3 mm be OK?

Most often we have experienced bottom temps around 80, but in 2009 we had bottom temps in upper 60s. I was ok even in 2009 with 3mm full suit, but my wife was very uncomfortable.

tarpoonchik,
water temp in Costa Rica on the pacific side is usually between 80-85° but sometimes we get hit of colder currents dropping temp down to 70-75°.
I personally dive 3mm full, 2mm shorty or often without wetsuit, but i don't get easy cold.
Anyway a 5mm wetsuit will give you a better protection if you should experience cold currents.
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom