Belize or Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to go to either Hamanasi or Galapagos and do a land based Island Hoping Dives. Need advice on which one is going to be more fulfilling. Going over the New Year holiday. Thx for any advice.

The weather will have a better shot for you in the Galapagos at that time of year.

Belize is very subject to tropical rain storms at that time of year. Check by searching for the term "northers".

More fulfilling? You're going to do them both before you die, each has it's merits.

Many folks wax poetic about their dive experience in the Galapagos, but usually that one trip there in a lifetime is sufficient. ISLAND HOPPING DIVES (DTG) http://www.divethegalapagos.com/index.php/dive-galapagos-land-based-dive-tour.html offers a wonderful combination of land-based diving from different locales- much more my preference after many trips there. After 6 liveaboard groups, I started taking them land based and never looked back- so much to see and do on land, and the diving is just off-shore. A lot cheaper doing it land based - by far.

The Galapagos is a set of islands way West off of Ecuador. I would make it a 10 day minimum, with an overnight in a better district of Quito.

Belize is a country that also has some extensive barrier cays for diving. I would avoid Belize City. Some cays are more interesting than others, but the dive magnet of the "Blue Hole" is something best viewed from an aircraft- most travelled divers don't find it rewarding. There is a lot to see along the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world- Belize (down to the Bay Islands), but not so much the "big stuff" as in the Galapagos.

Thx Roatan Man! I guess I needed the guidance to pony up the extra $2k for the Galapagos. We are planning a 9 day trip with 8 on the islands. We will be staying in Quito but need to find a hotel for the short night of sleep.

We usually spend one night in, and then two nights in Quito on the way out as well. After 10 days of adventure, most don't balk at the surprisingly inexpensive upgrade to the Hilton Colon. (use points!) It is situated next to a huge park that is an ongoing craft market. The city itself isn't a complete "no-go", but I counsel my groups to stay in that park and the surrounding street. Go to tourist sites in guided groups, during mid-day. It can get pretty icky and fast. For this same reason, I send no one out of harbor hotels and into Belize City (as in your original post) or the other common gateway in Ecuador, Guayaquil.

You're embarking on an adventure that few North Americans have ever enjoyed. We are absolutely brainwashed by the advertisers in "dive magazines" and they only represent the liveaboards. It's interesting that Brits and Europeans treat the Galloping Pogos as a backpack or day-dive op destination. They start their journey from the 0° Meridian, so for then, the G is on the dark side of the Moon, comparatively. It is to them what the Maldives is to us in the States... a really long trip!

The Island Hopping is a great way to save serious money and see a lot more of what the Galapagos really has to offer. I like schooling Hammerheads and Mobula Rays, I like to watch the Seals- but there is so much more to see. The local guides are so enured to Hammerheaded-itis that is all most of them bother to show you. There are two distinct Nudibranchs that spend their entire existence trying to kill the other species.

The lava tube tours (Sta. Cruz), the both of them, are not to be missed. If you only have time for one, go for the one run by Oswaldo- he was a photographer (back in the day) along for the "trip" with Ken Keysey and Janis Joplin on the Magic Bus. That is no joke.

Likely you will meet the guy who established all of the new far-flung land based dive ops, he is a Naturalist Guia (guide) from the C Darwin Research Station and was featured in Al Giddings Galapagos IMAX-3D... his name is Mathias Espinosa. He owns ScubaIguana on Santa Cruz, just outside of Darwin Station- which I (and many others would) suggest that you charter with.

Please write a detailed report and let others know that there is more than one way to dive the Galloping Pogos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom