Beginner dive site: end of Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_explorer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into doing my first dive after my OW license in Central America. I'd like to fly the week before Labour Day (end of august).

Ideally, what I'm looking for should be 10-20 m since I'm still a beginner. Something fun to do when I'm not diving would be good too. I'd probably prefer wrecks over reefs/wildlife (although both would be nice) as I'll be diving in Australia the month after in October where I'll see plenty of reefs/wildlife then. Inexpensive flight/accommodation would be nice, although I'm not too picky as I'm flying during the summer.

Recommendations?

Central America? That would mean either the Bay Islands or the Belizian Cays. Other Central American locales are not so well suited to easy travel, new divers, and shallows.

There is a distinct possibility of Tropical Rainstorms. In Central America, the further North you select, the greater the chance of weather issues.

Thus, you would likely have a better chance of avoiding the effects of any event by selecting the Southern Shore of Roatan- which be definition is a very shallow environment. Three very shallow wrecks- but you will soon learn to be interested by unusual critters.

Inexpensive airfares and the Bay Islands are not likely written in the same sentence.

Don't be deluded by low priced accommodations - you might well consider an AI program where you can dive a lot and don't have to be distracted by meals or party scene- just have everything put in front of you and concentrate on the task at hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom