Where To Dive In Central America In Mid-Late November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacoRocco6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning a 1 week dive trip to Central America in mid-late November and I need some input on where to go. Been to Utila and Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. Found both awesome but we're always looking for someplace new. We were thinking about Bocas Del Toro but aren't sure about the diving. Been hearing that the reef is seriously degraded and the visibility at that time of year isn't the greatest. Is this true? Also, how does Bocas diving compare to other Caribbean locales? Any other location suggestions are much appreciated. Please keep it to Central America though, as due to a flight deal with AA we're restricted to this section of the world. Also, if you think Utila or LCI are best to go back please say so. Thanks in advance.

Mid November is not a bad time to dive Bocas. The seas are calm, the surfers are gone and you'll be able to get out to the wall (the outer barrier reef) where the reefs, the critters and the viz are all better.

Judging from what I saw this last April versus what I saw in January, 2010, the inner island reefs are still in pretty good shape, but there wasn't as much sealife as there was before. Tourists have put such a high demand on crab and lobster that you don't see nearly as many. (The restaurants are buying puny juveniles, chopping them up and cooking them with pinapple to disguise the meager portions.) Don't get me wrong -- there is still plenty to see, and if you like macro life, Bocas can be as good as Roatan. The varieties of coral and fish are still very good. Just be prepared for two things: the dives (inside the archipeligo) are shallow -- 10' to 45' -- and due to the runoff from the daily rain showers, the viz is not going to be that great -- about 30' to 45'. In spite of that, residents of Costa Rica continue to come to Bocas to dive.

As for dive ops, I highly recommend Bocas Water Sports. Excellent DMs (1 per max of 4 divers), very customer focused (rare for Panama) and good prices which include any and all needed dive gear. Avoid Starfleet.

I agree, I loved diving in bocas, I thought it was much better than utila, and its a great island with plenty to do nearby.
Have you thought of going to Belize? I've only done snorkeling there but have heard great things.
Cozumel is my favourite place so far, I am returning in Nov to do my IDC. I have been living living and working as a DM in bonaire the last 3 months and its divers paradise. Super cheap to get there from Toronto.
Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom