Vacation destination? Fiji/New Zealand, Honduras, or Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjukich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide where to go on our next trip. First off here's a little background on myself and my wife so you guys can better help us decide. I'm 27, she's 25 and we have done our fair share of traveling in the past few years, Mexico, Hawaii, Belize, and parts of the US. We got back from 3 weeks in Belize in May and June and it was by far the most amazing trip we have taken. We love to scuba dive, eat good food, hike, and do pretty much anything outdoors. We found Belize great because it wasn't too touristy, there were lots of things to do off the beaten path, we got to explore lots of different parts of the country and there was awesome culture.....oh yeah and great diving!!! We are trying to decide between Fiji/New Zealand, Honduras, and Costa Rica. We are looking to spend 2-3 weeks, price isn't really a factor since we will make it work where ever. We like places that aren't too touristy but do like to stay in nice hotels with great amenities. Outdoor activities and things to do are key, we do like to lounge but not all day. We will be going in late May early June. Let me know what you guys all think!

New Zealand will be pretty cool in May. 7mm farmerjohns, hood and gloves will be a must.

The main tourist diving season is from Dec- April where temps are around the 22-25C mark in the North Island. South Island is cooler.

Good hotels, good food, diverse outdoor activities, SCUBA too?

#1) Fiji/New Zealand

#12) Costa Rica (but the diving is marginal)

#12) Honduras

I haven't been to Fiji, but a friend goes there every year and loves the diving and topside activities. The big issue going there is the price of airfare and resorts, and time getting there.

I think you should consider a trip down to Mexico - Cozumel-Playa del Carmen combo trip. Best diving in Cozumel for a week, then topside activities and cenote diving over at PDC. Cozumel diving is waaaaay better than Belize, so if you liked that, you will be amazed at Cozumel.

Yes, Cozumel can be very touristy, but not as much in May, and if you pick the right resort, you won't see all the tourists. We like Scuba Club Cozumel for that reason. You can stay inside the gates, all diving and meals from there, and just go into town if you want to buy something or take ferry over to PDC.

In PDC, you have tons of choices for hotels from tiny to huge luxury resorts, and tons of dive ops. I would pick someone who can give you Cenote diving, do 2-3 days of that, then spend a few days with a rental car and visit Chichen Itza and various other Mayan city ruins in the Yucatan.

No mtns to climb, or caves to explore, but lots of zipline tours, Mayan villages to explore, cenotes to snorkel or dive. A good variety of activities for the outdoors type people.

robin

For that time frame, the Guanacaste area of Costa Rica would be perfect. We went there four or five years ago, and dove the Bats and Cats, and then went inland and stayed in the area of the Arenal Volcano. While we were on the coast, we took a day trip to Nicaragua which was really outstanding. We flew in and out of the airport at Liberia, in lieu of going through San Jose.

I have only been to one of those places, but I have researched all of them. Fiji would be my choice, hands down. The diving is fantastic and there are resorts from real remote and rustic to about as fancy as you could ask for. The people are the friendliest I have ever met anyplace, the weather is fantastic some place at any time of the year as there is a great diversity available.

The flight is 10 1/2 hours non-stop from LAX, but it is a comfortable over night flight leaving at 11 ior 11:30pm so if you are able to sleep at all on a plane it is an easy flight. I hate flying from SoCal to Michigan which is only 8 to 10 hours usually but the Fiji flight was one I wouldnt hesitate to do again.

The flight to Fiji isnt cheap but when you get there the exchange rate is such that there are real deals there if you know where to look. Someone said that resorts are expensive, and there are some extremely expensive resorts. But, there are a LOT of reasonable resorts and some that are down right cheap that are still very very nice. 7mm wetsuit in New Zealand or board shorts and a rash guard in Fiji? Wouldnt take me much time at all to make that decision :) and, from what I have read and heard, the diving in Costa Rica and Honduras cant even come close to that which you will find in Fiji.

I think my worry is stuff to do outside of diving. I know that Fiji and Honduras are both great dive sites, not sure which is better but that is only one part of the day. I also love doing all the stuff on the land, good town and culture, wildlife, fishing, and maybe even some great hikes

Fiji sounds like a winner, but don't rule out Honduras, especially if you liked Belize. Cayos Cochinos has the Plantation Beach Resort, definitely off the beaten path, but it may be too isolated and not luxurious enough (on a scale of 1 to 5 it's luxury level = 2, yes it is primitive). Roatan has Anthony's Key, and Coco View for the diver in you, neither is very luxurious (AK more so than CCV), and Roatan isn't off the beaten path, it is the beaten path. Utila is a bit more off the path, and May is whale shark season, so maybe.

Great fishing in Fiji as well. Learning about the culture and how they live is cool. Wife doesnt dive and she loved the trip as well and we were there for 9 1/2 weeks.

I prefer Costa Rica . Costa Rica is such a great place to tour. I was there last year. The national parks are a must see/do - over a quarter of the country is devoted to national parks so wherever you are there will be some close by?
The beaches and ocean are also spectacular, and then there are volcanoes to see as well.
If you want to see the rainforest, I recommend Corcovado National Park. There you'll find lush tropical vegetation and rich wildlife.
I saw all kinds of wildlife, like different species of monkeys jumping from tree to tree, anteaters, raccoons, and brightly colored birds.
If you're into diving the Catalinas Islands are a cool place to go with sharks, rays, angelfish, turtles and even whale sharks if you're lucky. We went out with Aquacenter diving. There are lots of places to go snorkelling and see some spectacular smaller fish.
Or you can go bigger and go whale watching. Humpback whales make trips both north, from California, and south, from the Antarctic, and both routes pass Costa Rica every year.
The Rincón de la Vieja National Park is great for volcanoes, mud pools and hot springs, as well as all sorts of wildlife.

We stayed at The Palms on Playa Flamingo. We found our villa through VRBO, but they also have fractional ownership (like a very high end timeshare) so you might be able to swap into it. I don't think the resort does direct rentals. The staff there were truly awesome.
And it's right on the beach.

Costa Rica is a great place for adventure trips and eco-tourism, plus the people are regularly voted to be the happiest in the world.
There are so many things to do down there, that I need to plan a return trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom