Trip Report: Playas del Coco, Costa Rica Jan.7-14 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve the Baker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
6 Days /15 Dives including 2 trips to Catalina Island. Dive shop Rich Coast Diving. Weather Sunny 90's*F everyday.Water Visibilty 20'-45' mild currents.Our 2 trips to Catalina Island.1st dive each time was done at site "Wall".We had multiple Manta Ray sightings.Also saw large schools of Eagle Rays & Devil Rays with some White Tip Sharks.2nd site each trip was a small sea mount called "Widow".Manta Rays were also sighted on both trips.The rulers of this are King Angelfish by the hundreds with Butterfly (Barber) Fish.The slower you go the more they follow the group.This is a Must see dive site! The rest of the week we dove the Gulf at sites Argentina,Monkey Head & Tortuga which all have mutiple sites.By Argentina Humpback Whales were present all week.Most people come to dive to see Large stuff Sharks, Eagle,Devil & Southern Rays. THe Macro Critters are Very abundant.Many different Nudibranchs,Clown (Harlequin) Shrimp & Barnicle Blennies.One thing nice about diving here is that depending on visability you always have something to look at.Rich Coast Diving is Excellent to deal with. Our group has booked 3 trips with them and stayed at Toro Blanco. A package that is hard to beat.Maurin (instructor) is Fantastic to dive with.She has Great knowledge of the sites and is Amazing at finding Macro critters.I have requested her the last 2 trips because she loves to dive as much as we do.Guiyo is newer to the shop but is also Excellent.Playas del Coco is a Fun town.Good restaurants & nightlife.All was an easy walk from Toro Blanco.Easy direct flights fronm Newark,NJ. Cost around $450.00 roundtrip.This is an inexpensive trip that has many activities for people who do not dive.this is one of the most Beautiful Countries I have ever visited and will be back again soon.

Cool! We're heading to the same area in late March - getting excited...

Thanks Upper 70's*F I dive with a 5 mm wetsuit. 3mm suit is more than enough for most people. But 6 days of diving I like to be toasty.

Thanks for the report! I'm heading down to Playas del Coco to dive with Rich Coast in late March as well. Altaskier, when are you going to be there? I'm diving with them March 23-25, hoping enough people are interested in visiting Catalina to get a trip out there on one of those days. This will be the third time I've dived with Rich Coast - great outfit!

Heg, yes land based diving off Playas del Coco is fantastic! I always stay at Rancho Armadillo - not the cheapest place, but I LOVE it. It's run by an American named Rick who is just the most gracious host.

I've never done Cocos Island, but I would have to say there are pros and cons to both. My understanding is that the diving is simply unsurpassed at Cocos - equivalent to Galapagos (which I HAVE dived), but getting there can be hellacious. The crossing to reach Cocos is through open sea, and depending on conditions, can take from 30 to 36 hours. This undertaking is not for the faint of heart or those prone to seasickness. Plus, that means that ALL you get to do is diving, whereas Costa Rica has so much to offer on land too. I have friends who live in Costa Rica so I've been there several times, and it truly is an amazing place for the adventurous, and those who love nature.

If I was going to do a live-aboard, definitely Cocos Island would be at the top of my list. But I prefer my vacations to be more than just diving.

The local diving from Playas del Coco is truly wonderful. Not Cocos Island wonderful, but I would say it equaled Belize for me.

If you have not decided on your dive shop, please take a look at rocket frog. We have a fast modern vessel that moves to all the best dive sites in the shortest amount of time. We put lots of photos on Facebook or you can find us at our web site rocketfrogdivers.com
the diving is great in Costa Rica, enjoy your vacation.
michael

Back
Top Bottom