Questions about land activities in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is it worth it to stay a couple of nights in a hotel on the canal?( Country Inn at Amador on the canal to be specific.) We are booked to stay at the front end of the trip in the city? What is better, a partial transit of the canal or a jungle tour that goes to Gaton Lake and gives you an opportunity to see the boats in the canal? Is it worth it to do both? Someone told me to not try to do the full transit as it gets too boring????? Is it worth it to try to do some jungle hikes to explore caves in Bayano or will we see enough animals when on the LOB at Coiba? Are there any specific land tour operators that you trust ?Thanks so much in advance for any and all help?

Can't answer your other questions, however, have very much enjoyed my stays at Country Inn And Suites. It is in view of the Bridge of the Americas, and there is a nice walking path along the waterway. Not sure how far it goes. It is an inexpensive cab ride to Casco Viejo, which I didn't enjoy much on this latest visit (Jan 4 2013) because there is so very much road reconstruction taking place. Also the rejuvenation of the buildings continues. Country Inn is an even less expensive taxi drive to the artisan market. The restaurant at the hotel is ok in a pinch but there are much nicer ones down the causeway. The desk staff can recommend but do make sure to arrange with the hotel for your return trip after dinner. We neglected to do this and had a difficult time securing a ride back. The included breakfast was very nice. I noted there have been changes to the lobby area with the inclusion of a small deli. It was ok. You must make sure to book a canal side suite or you may find yourself on the wrong side of the hotel.

Last edited:
Thanks Chilly!!

Just go to the miraflores locks around noon or 11 am, that's when the big container boats pass, they have one guy on a speaker explaining everything while the boat passes. We expend 2 hours there because there's is also a museum and a movie theater where they explain you also some more history in about 10 minutes.

Other than that just go to coiba and dive...

Buton, you were very lucky if you saw ships going through the locks at noon. Usually, the northbound (Atlantic bound) traffic stops about 11:00 as they change direction in the Canal. The next ships start arriving around between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.

If you want to go through the locks, I'd recommend the partial transit. A full transit is 8 hours or more. Personally, I think you'll get just as much value at the Miraflores Visitor's Center. I've "locked up" a couple of times with a friend who skippered tugboats at Gatun and then at Miraflores. It's best to get to the Visitor's Center soon after they open at 9:00am. If you're interested in lunch, there is a restaurant with a nice buffet and great views, on the balcony, of the locks.

My wife and I have stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Amador a few times. It is a nice hotel, with a good view of the mouth of the Canal and the Bridge of the Americas. It's a bit quieter than the hotels downtown or in Casco Viejo. The downsides are that it is far from anything other than Miraflores and Amador, and the restaurants on Amador are pretty mediocre. The on-site TGIFridays really sucks. Across the parking lot is the Balboa Yacht Club. It's interesting for a beer, but don't order any food unless you have first applied for Social Security. You can raise a family and retire before your meal comes.

My current favorite place to stay in Panama (City) is Torres de Alba. It's in the heart of the city, El Cangrejo district. The rooms are suites with full kitchens. You're walking distance to many good restaurants and sites. And, they have the best breakfast buffet included in the price of the room.

As for jungle hikes and seeing animals -- consider going to the zoo at Summit Park (Parque Nacional Soberanía). It's a good taxi ride out of the city. At the zoo, you'll see birds and animals indigenous to Panama ... the Harpy Eagle (makes our Bald Eagle look like a dwarf); jaguar, crocodile, monkeys, coatimundi, tapirs, parrots, macaws, etc.

Hiking in the jungle will involve taking an overpriced birding tour on the Pipeline Road or renting a car and driving to El Valle (90 minutes west of the city) or to Camino las Cruces, (20 minutes north of the city) on the Madden Dam Road AKA Old Forest Road.

Saludos and happy diving.

Great post!!

Going online now to check out the Torres de Alba! Thanks for the great post! :0)
Buton, you were very lucky if you saw ships going through the locks at noon. Usually, the northbound (Atlantic bound) traffic stops about 11:00 as they change direction in the Canal. The next ships start arriving around between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.

If you want to go through the locks, I'd recommend the partial transit. A full transit is 8 hours or more. Personally, I think you'll get just as much value at the Miraflores Visitor's Center. I've "locked up" a couple of times with a friend who skippered tugboats at Gatun and then at Miraflores. It's best to get to the Visitor's Center soon after they open at 9:00am. If you're interested in lunch, there is a restaurant with a nice buffet and great views, on the balcony, of the locks.

My wife and I have stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Amador a few times. It is a nice hotel, with a good view of the mouth of the Canal and the Bridge of the Americas. It's a bit quieter than the hotels downtown or in Casco Viejo. The downsides are that it is far from anything other than Miraflores and Amador, and the restaurants on Amador are pretty mediocre. The on-site TGIFridays really sucks. Across the parking lot is the Balboa Yacht Club. It's interesting for a beer, but don't order any food unless you have first applied for Social Security. You can raise a family and retire before your meal comes.

My current favorite place to stay in Panama (City) is Torres de Alba. It's in the heart of the city, El Cangrejo district. The rooms are suites with full kitchens. You're walking distance to many good restaurants and sites. And, they have the best breakfast buffet included in the price of the room.

As for jungle hikes and seeing animals -- consider going to the zoo at Summit Park (Parque Nacional Soberanía). It's a good taxi ride out of the city. At the zoo, you'll see birds and animals indigenous to Panama ... the Harpy Eagle (makes our Bald Eagle look like a dwarf); jaguar, crocodile, monkeys, coatimundi, tapirs, parrots, macaws, etc.

Hiking in the jungle will involve taking an overpriced birding tour on the Pipeline Road or renting a car and driving to El Valle (90 minutes west of the city) or to Camino las Cruces, (20 minutes north of the city) on the Madden Dam Road AKA Old Forest Road.

Saludos and happy diving.

What GB Williams says is a lot of good sense. Comments on the Country Inn and Suites Amador as quite right and getting out for food without using a taxi is difficult. Walking along the "Boardwalk" along the canal in the evening may not be so much fun. People sell things and do things under cover of the park bushes and trees. Miraflores Lock centre is brilliant. We did a full transit and didn't find it boring but that was because we wanted to do the whole trip. Partial transit is a good opportunity - just look at the towering tankers and cruise ships in front and behind - it is awe inspriring. The local hikes are well worth doing. There is an amazing diversity of wildlife there, virtually into the heart of the city. We went early morning to the park and things just "appeared" like a TV show. Ten paces brought us a sloth, a Jesus Christ lizard, a snake and a rare bird that is a type of nightjar. Find a guide - it really is worth it in terms of what you see.

Finally - go to the Panama Canal web cam and take a look at Miraflores Lock live - it refreshes every minute of so. Just Google Panama Canal web cam!

Enjoy.

@pelan-pelan.. ( which means watch your step in Indonesian, right?) would you suggest that a trip to the miraflores center is enough rather than do the partial transit?or.. a trip to gatun lake where they go right up to the boats??? Also, where do you go to do the hikes you refer to? We would love that?

The Metropolitan Park is in the northwest part of the city, it's off Corredor Norte. There are a number of trails there, but you have to be careful because on the extreme west, it borders a very bad neighborhood -- Corundu -- that even the police won't enter without armored vehicles.

If you have a day or so, stop off in El Valle de Anton (AKA "El Valle") on your way back from Coiba. It's in the mountains, which means it's refreshingly cooler than the city or Santa Catalina or Coiba. This is a get-away spot for people who live in the city. Along with some nice hiking trails with great vistas, there are a hot spring/mud bath (for $2 pp), zip line, botanical garden/orchid nursery, a small zoo, ancient indian pictoglyph, water falls and an open air market where you can buy native artwork and crafts. If you decide to go to El Valle, let me know and I'll send you directions to the trailheads.

In any trail location, the earlier in the morning that you go, the more likely you are to see birds, monkeys and wildlife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom