Costa Rica (Puerto Viejo) Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superfly

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, all,

Making my way down to CR this year and was wondering if there were any good shore dives in/around Puerto Viejo. Cahuita looks interesting, with the potential to swim out and drop over the reef.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Good luck, from my experience there is usually zero vis on the Caribbean coast.

Cross the border into Panama (Sixaola-Guabito) and go to Bocas del Toro for scuba diving.

All the Ops I saw in both those areas (Cahuita is about a 45 minute drive North of PV) usually dive from small pangas off shore on the edge of the reef. Even though the reef extends fairly far towards the beach in most cases, there is usually enough runoff from the rivers to kill visibility on anything you would be in range of on a shore dive and many times from the boat.

+1 for crossing over into Panama and hitting Bocas. The boat/taxi combo for $40 will pick you up in PV in the morning and usually have you to Bocas around 12 or 1 if I remember correctly. PV has seen some serious growth in the last 10 years which is unfortunate because it used to be so rustic and quiet.

Back
Top Bottom