Cano Island (Costa Rica)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbtut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I've tried searching but haven't come up with much. I'll be in Drake bay for a couple days mostly visiting corcovado. I'll have one day to either snorkle or dive at Cano island. It's the first week of April. I seem to read a lot of mixed reviews of Cano island diving. Is it worth spending the extra $ to go diving there? Or should I spend the day doing something else like hiking in Corcovado or kayaking or something?

Thanks for the advice.

JB

I was just in drake bay in earl February. I did eight dives at Cano and it was good. When I was there, there was a very strong thermocline at some sights with very poor vis below, but this is the first time I have seen that and we have been there many times. The only issue I have with diving Cano is that there are only five approved sites and after a few days it becomes repetitive. I did finally see my first frog fish though at Devil's Rock.

Just returned. Diving at Cano island was really good. Not exceptional, but well above average. In two dives we saw white tipped reef sharks, 1 bull shark, manta rays up close, a number of other rays, lots of fish schools, and some big jacks and other large ocean fish. Nice to see some protected areas with healthy populations of large fish!

Overall, I was surprised at how expensive costa rica was. I would not go for diving - asia is better and much much cheaper even with the longer flights from the USA. About everything in CR is twice what it should cost. The only place I've traveled that was more expensive was Zermatt in Switzerland, and it's pretty close. The hotels in Zermatt are actually nicer for the same price, but food is a bit more expensive.

That said, if you're in Drake Bay, spend the $ for diving Cano. It's worth spending a day diving there.

I would have to agree that Costa Rica in general is a bit more pricey than it really should be. Food there runs similar in price to a bit more if you want to eat like you do in the states or Canada. Everything else is quite similar, but you know the employees get paid a quarter of what they would in the US or Canada.. At best. The diving in Cano is good.. Great visibility for a lot of the year. Would rank it third best area to dive in Costa Rica. First being of course the Cocos Islands (only accessible by liveaboard) and then the Bat Islands and Catalinas (Great for bull sharks, mantas, and huge schools of fish) and then Cano.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom