Belize V Honduras v Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All,
Which offers the better diving and why ?
Many thanks.
I like sharks, mantas, big schools of fish etc

Yes they do.

I like tuttles.

Kidding aside, you ask a huge question. This is generally not where I would tell someone to see big critters, certainly not after dragging all the way from Wales.

My friends from your island have heard me wax poetic about all of the macro critters on the South Side of Roatan. When we look at the air travel connections, Roatan seems out of reach for a week long stay, but a lot of Brits are there, assumably trying to reclaim their former lands.

The same Brit friends have recently asked me about Cozumel- seems that they are getting incredible offers of inclusive trips for this fall... The storm season. They view the connections as doable.

i do know that its very easy for you to get to Belize City, this is evidenced by the huge British military presence and any number of ex-pats living there....but then there's a whole new discussion about what to do then- the diving is far flung and located on distinct outer cays.

(do 'em all!)

I live and dive Belize...mostly free diving now. No Manta rays but LOTS of eagle rays. Usually every time I'm free diving.
And sharks....well, we can ....."tease" them up in some places. I have a few places I hardly shoot fish anymore because the chance of losing them to a bullshark is pretty good. I don't like to waste fish....or lose gear :D . But these places are off the beaten path for most dive shops.

However, large schools of fish....we have a spot here that has more fish than I've seen at Tubbataha, Philippines and Sipadan Malaysia. Unreal.

Not sure about Cozumel. I've dived Roatan and it was pretty nice. You just have to know where to go in each area I would guess. I did see the largest cubera snapper of my life on Roatan. Maybe 90 lbs or more. A beast.

I am in the area next week, for five weeks. I have dove all over asia and just wanted a different experience. Is there any quality diving in Cuba ? or out of Southern Mexico, belize or honduras where is the best diving ?
Many thanks

QUOTE=Hank49;6813043]I live and dive Belize...mostly free diving now. No Manta rays but LOTS of eagle rays. Usually every time I'm free diving.
And sharks....well, we can ....."tease" them up in some places. I have a few places I hardly shoot fish anymore because the chance of losing them to a bullshark is pretty good. I don't like to waste fish....or lose gear :D . But these places are off the beaten path for most dive shops.

However, large schools of fish....we have a spot here that has more fish than I've seen at Tubbataha, Philippines and Sipadan Malaysia. Unreal.

Not sure about Cozumel. I've dived Roatan and it was pretty nice. You just have to know where to go in each area I would guess. I did see the largest cubera snapper of my life on Roatan. Maybe 90 lbs or more. A beast.[/QUOTE]

Large schools of fish and nurse sharks.... Cozumel has them.
Roatan... nope. Love the place, just got back, but it is not the answer to your question.
Belize... heard they have "nurse shark pets and feeds" and I won't patronize anyplace that does that.

The "nurse shark petting" is only in Shark Ray Alley up near San Pedro.

OP, if you've dived all over Asia you're going to feel like this is pretty barren by comparison. I started diving in the Philippines and when I came to Belize and went down on my first dive, my first thought was, "this is it"? We don't have the species diversity but we have the biomass....more or less. Less color here.

The atholls of Belize are pretty good. The best in Belize anyway. Species of fish and coral are pretty much the same all over the Caribbean.

There really isn't dig stuff in the Caribbean - fished out.
you might look at whale shark snorkeling on isle mujeres at this time of year.
then go to cozumel for diving.
roatan is good for small stuff like sea horses.
belize is the best for land based activities.

Thanks, So cozumel is better than Belieze and Honduras for diving?

Reactions: Doc
Thanks, So cozumel is better than Belieze and Honduras for diving?

Refer back to what does your original post says !!!

HI All,
Which offers the better diving and why ?
Many thanks.
I like sharks, mantas, big schools of fish etc

Best depends on what you like and what you want.
One of these locations is not better than the other - it's which one will give you the closest match to what you want and in my opinion that would be Cozumel.

Having been to all three.
I like Belize the best for a vacation that includes some diving.
In Honduras, I have only stayed and dived on Roatan and it's an excellent location for small stuff and reef life.
which leaves Cozumel as the default. The diving on Cozumel is generally drift diving with great visibility - what you will see is luck of the draw.

With the exception of nurse sharks your chances of seeing "big stuff" is going to be low anywhere in this geographic area.
Seeing big animals is possible at all three but not probable.

Back
Top Bottom