Diving (end) October: Honduras or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazoozaw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My partner and I are planning a trip through Central America, and we want to go diving in one spot.
My partner also still needs to get his Open Water (I`m fine). We will be diving for about 7-10 days.

We had originally planned to go to the Bay Islands, Honduras, because it is cheap and renowned, but I`ve noticed that, despite the rest of Central America being in the dry season, it`s the wet season in the Bay Islands during that time (incl. possibility for hurricanes?). This rain reduces the visibility of course, and can give issues with the ferries to the islands I believe (high seas).

So..my question is, if we want to do affordable and good diving in October, should we still go to Honduras, or give Belize a shot?

Also - we`re after: affordable diving, seeing bigger animals if possible (rays, sharks), bigger groups of fish and colourful reefs (to put it simplistically :)).

Thanks lots for any comments or advice!

October is still hurricane season for the whole Caribbean including Belize and Honduras so you have some risk in each location. Both locations can be very affordable. Both countries share the same reef system. In terms of bigger animals it's hit or miss. I've seen a manta ray and plenty of nurse sharks in Ambergris Caye and seen sharks on the shark dive in Roatan. I'm only mentioning Roatan and Ambergris Caye because they are very popular within their countries but Utila in Honduras and Southern Belize (Placencia) are popular too. In terms of the Bay Islands, yes you can take ferries to them but they also have airports if you're open to spending a little more for the convenience. Belize's ferries to the closer islands as well as the air service within the country are all very good.

It really comes down to preference. I like them both.

I agree with JLevine's estimation, but I would say that you have a slightly greater possibility of an actual storm hitting Belize rather than Roatan. A direct hit on Belize is still a near miss for the Bay Islands, and they have felt the lashing rains from spin-off storms that usually track to the North of Roatan, so it's really not going to be a big distinction.

Travelling all the way from New Zealand to the Caribbean to see large schools and big fish might suggest some more pre-trip research would be in order. Of course, a number of years ago I went to NZ twice and all I did was snow ski. :hm:

^ The only sharks you're likely to see off Roatan are those at the paid shark dive. We did see some stingrays, an occasional big grouper and turtles. Almost always had a turtle swimming with us off the north side. Some of those dives were pretty sparse though, at one even the DM said the fish forgot to show up that morning.

The ferry (Princess) to Utila is currently sitting in drydock. There's no estimation of when/if it will ever return. So you'll have to fly to Utila or ferry to Roatan and get one of the private boats from there. They're all smaller so maybe more susceptible to bad weather. It's probably cheaper/certainly easier to fly direct to Utila from San Pedro or La Ceiba.

The Galaxy ferry to Roatan is a 152' Catamaran so likely much less affected by bad weather. http://www.roatanferry.com/?l=en

We saw more bigger stuff off Utila but not a measurable difference. Occasionally we'd see a reef shark or two deeper on the north side. One of the seamounts on the south side - Black Hills - comes up to 40' One dive there we saw: 6 Oceanic triggers - 3-4' long, an equal number of 2-3' spotted grouper, at least 100 barracuda and just as we were leaving two sharks were making their way up from deeper water. Also schools of snapper, quite a few smaller fish and the ever present schools of Black Durgon.

There's also seahorses at a "muck" dive site on the south side. That dive we also saw a red-lipped batfish and either a Torpedo or Electric Ray buried in the sand. No one wanted to find out which...

There's an outside chance of seeing a Whale Shark off Utila in the fall. I know they're occasionally spotted in September. It's snorkel only.

Not to mention that the reef is not that colorful. Everything else the others have told you is accurate, IMNSHO.

Hi Wazoozaw,

We now live in Roatan & have spent the last 3 years exploring Central America including El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Providencia & San Andres, and now Honduras & Belize. The rainy season in all those countries extends into November, sometimes December or January, & the amount of rain and thunderstorms on the mainland, including Belize, is much higher than in the islands offshore, including the Bay Islands and Providencia/San Andres. The hurricane season in the Caribbean officially lasts from June through Nov, however in the Western Caribbean the peak season is Sept & Oct.

Belize gets far more tropical storm & hurricane activity than the Bay Islands due to Cape Gracias Del Dios acting as a major obstacle to normal hurricane tracks heading for the Bay Islands. For example, last year in Aug Tropical Storm Ernesto was headed towards the Bay Islands but once it got 100 miles off the Cape it turned north for 2 days and then back west, missing Roatan by over 150 miles and slamming directly into Belize & the southern Yucatan. This is a typical storm track for this area, in order for a major storm to hit Roatan it must come across the mainland, which is extremely rare. Ernesto was the only storm to come even close to the Bay Islands last year & so far this year we've had nothing but great weather. If you take a look at the NOAA statistics since 1970 you will see that over the last 43 years Roatan has only been significantly affected by tropical storms/hurricanes 3 times, whereas Belize is much higher.

As far as diving is concerned, like many places you have to know where to go to get the best diving. The diving on the south shore & east end of Roatan is much better than in the West End/West Bay area in our opinion, and we do liveaboard charters in all of the Bay Islands including Roatan, Cayos Cochinos, etc. It is correct that there is not much in the way of large marine life, this is not where you come to see that. However, statements that there are no fish must be coming from divers that simply weren't taken to the right sites. We were diving just 2 days ago right off French Cay Harbor & the fish life was incredible, at times totally surrounding us. The whale sharks are here right now & have been sighted daily off both the south & north shores & Utila has even more of them than Roatan. Unfortunately they won't be here in Oct, wrong time of year. The above comments about diving equally apply to Belize, particularly in the outer atolls such as Lighthouse & Glover reefs, absolutely outstanding diving there too.

As far as the reefs go, the coral off the south shore of Roatan is outstanding, dramatic walls full of color that plunge from 30 feet to over 140, with overhangs, swim throughs, canyons and chimneys. Roatan's reputation is built on the vibrancy of its coral reefs & they are the main reason divers come here, but again you need to get off the beaten track where most divers go. It's also important to go to dive sites at the right time of day, in general you want mornings on the south side & afternoons on the north, no light equals no color. If you would like to see some examples take a look at the photos on our Facebook page, we are far from professional photographers but they will give you an idea of what we dive in daily.

Finally, with regard to cost there are few places in Central America or the Caribbean where the diving is as affordable as the Bay Islands. From what I have seen, Roatan & Utila have the lowest cost per dive and the least expensive courses anywhere in the Caribbean, and possibly all of North & Central America. You would be here in off season & should be able to find great deals on accommodation & diving packages. Roatan has accommodation to fit all budgets, ranging from backpacker hostels to high end hotels with everything in between. It also has a huge variety of things to do on shore when you're not diving. A great place to look for deals & info about Roatan & Utila dive shops, hotels etc is actually on Facebook, many of the resorts & dive operators, especially the smaller ones, primarily use Facebook to communicate and do not keep their websites very current. The Facebook pages however are often current right up to that day.

Good luck with your search!

I've dove both throughout Belize and in Roatan.

When I went to Roatan (I think in August) the night before we flew there they were hit by a small hurricane and when we landed you couldn't even tell it had rained. During the day it was hot and dry and at night it pour rain and thunderstorm like crazy. I stayed at Turquoise Bay which has a very affordable dive package... 3 dives per day everyday I was there :) It's on the NE side of the Island which is remote and never saw any other divers on our dives. There are some great swim throughs, tons of lionfish to hunt, but very little large sea life (nurse sharks, turtles, rays, etc).

Belize - The diving here (and hotels) is more expensive, especially so in Placencia because the reefs are further away. Many of most memorable and favorite diving has been done in Belize. Although many disapprove of the practice they will bring bait to attract sea life here which nearly guarantees you seeing all kinds of the things most people desire... nurse sharks, turtles, rays, grouper, etc... the water visibility is also the best I've ever seen in Belize.

You might also consider a different option... Cozumel in Mexico has amazing diving and it's cheaper than both of those.

Thejamez? The viz off of Ambergris was the best you've ever seen??! Don't get me wrong here, i've hundreds of dives there, which is why I'm surprised at your statement. When were you diving there please?

Thejamez? The viz off of Ambergris was the best you've ever seen??! Don't get me wrong here, i've hundreds of dives there, which is why I'm surprised at your statement. When were you diving there please?

What I meant was the best visibility I've ever seen (out of roatan/coz/belize) was in Belize. May and June..

Back
Top Bottom