Catalina Islands in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver14

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be traveling to Costa Rica in October. The group will be primarily non-diving, so I will only be able to squeeze in one day of diving. Is it too rainy this time of year for diving in the Catalina Islands (viz, water conditions, etc.). The trip dates are set, but I would love to get a few dives in.

My other question is about the currents. I am a pretty comfortable diver (Rescue with 40 dives in the last year). I would be diving with my brother, who is not so comfortable. He is very athletic and a strong swimmer, but hasn't dove in a few years. He would take a tune-up before we went. How challenging is the diving at the islands? Would he be able to safely dive them?

Last question: Any recommendations for shops in the Tamarindo area that run good trips out there?

Thanks!

Bump as I was about to make a very similar post for my trip in November. diver14, if you find any information from different sources, please share!
Thanks!
Brian
Raleigh, NC

I was in that area a couple years ago, loved it. I dove the pacific side and chartered a private individual to take me out.
I had to find him through a friend of a friend sort of way and he informed me it had been four months since he had taken anyone out.
Viz is about 20 feet, lots of surf and rip tides but the bull sharks and eagle rays made up for it. With the lack of diver pressure like most high profile resorts have the marine life was abundant. Eagle Rays swam right at me in swarms too many to count and seamed totally uninterested. Bull sharks acted as if they didn't even see us. It was one of the best diving trips I ever had. No boat full of people asking "Now where does this hose go?" No one rushing you around so they can pick up another load of cattle, No one smashing their tank down on to your mask, No one out of air in 15 min ect...ect...

I was in that area a couple years ago, loved it. I dove the pacific side and chartered a private individual to take me out.
I had to find him through a friend of a friend sort of way and he informed me it had been four months since he had taken anyone out.
Viz is about 20 feet, lots of surf and rip tides but the bull sharks and eagle rays made up for it. With the lack of diver pressure like most high profile resorts have the marine life was abundant. Eagle Rays swam right at me in swarms too many to count and seamed totally uninterested. Bull sharks acted as if they didn't even see us. It was one of the best diving trips I ever had. No boat full of people asking "Now where does this hose go?" No one rushing you around so they can pick up another load of cattle, No one smashing their tank down on to your mask, No one out of air in 15 min ect...ect...
I had a similar experience. Nice,quiet trip with lots of marine life. Mobula rays,eagle rays,sharks,turtles. I don't remember the two shops I used but they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom