Dec or Jan Where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FortMacAl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am planning on going to Costa Rica in de.c or jan. with my family, What I was hoping to find out is where is some good diving and places to do family activities as well (zip lines etc...) I'm only there for about 6 days and want to maximize our fun !!!
Any help would be appreciated. Possibly 1 day in a city for shopping before leaving.

I did some diving in CR, just hit the LDS at the beaches along the west coast. For not being a dive destination, I had surprisingly good dives. Saw several sharks, turtles, a manta.
You'll have a great time I think, just stop where there's a dive shop and ask about taking a boat out.

I'm currently planning a trip to CR as well. Very excited to dive the pacific side! Cano Island to the south looks incredible, accessible from Drake Bay hotels, also it's right by the Oso peninsula and wildlife reserve which is quite remote and pretty highly regarded.

To the north of the country are another set of islands that seem pretty well known for large marine life. Bat island and there's another one too. They look incredible. Not sure about the onshore stuff up there because I think we're going for Drake Bay.

Also, in my research I noticed Cocos Island live aboards run out of CR... Might tack that on when we go if there's space available, but that would be pretty pricey!!

TracyDR, whereabouts on the pacific side did stay?

If you are looking at Cano island, aka lots of sharks, and rays and also for family activities then try Manuel Antonio. its a good base, can visit Cano island from there, plus zip-lining, rafting, national park, monkeys, beach, spa...did I mention monkeys!!!!

That time of the year is when the Manta season starts, we offer trips tot he Catalina's to go to the cleaning stations. As for sharks; jump on one of our boats to the local dive sites, sharks and rays everyday! Guanacaste is a great place for canopy and other activities. Coco is surrounded by 3 national parks, Santa Rosa, Rincon and Palo Verde, plus it is close to Volcanoes and waterfalls.

What are the water temps like? Is there a "best" time of year? Viz? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom