Land based dive resorts in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I am planning a dive trip to Costa Rica on pretty short notice. I will be flying into Liberia mid December for about a week maybe ten days. I would like a dive resort that is not too far away and shore based as my wife does not dive.
Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Kevin

I stayed in Playa Hermosa and dove with Diving Safaris. It is very close to Liberia airport. Playa Hermosa is a small protected bay with opportunities for snorkelling and sunbathing. There are some shops there but the larger town (Quepos?) is a short drive away. The hotels there are of different styles so you'll find one you like. There are also several nice restaurants. We did the ziplines there on an off day - that was great fun. Diving is very good too. Try the excursion to Grand Susta, an area with a hundred huge Bull Sharks!

Hello everyone,

I am planning a dive trip to Costa Rica on pretty short notice. I will be flying into Liberia mid December for about a week maybe ten days. I would like a dive resort that is not too far away and shore based as my wife does not dive.
Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Kevin

It's been a while (I think about five years or so), but my wife and I stayed at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort (back before it was a Hilton), and dove with the on-site dive op, Resort Divers. While there, we also took in a side trip to Nicaragua. Recent reviews on TripAdvisor seem to be pretty positive.

There are really no "dive resorts" in Costa Rica. Diving is available very readily in the area around Playas Del Coco and south to Flamingo. I'm not sure if they would still be going to the Bat Islands for the sharks, but the diving is very good around the Catalinas off of Flamingo. We have been very happy with Costa Rica Diving in Flamingo, Harald is a lot of fun. El Ocotal Resort has their own onsite dive operation which is where my wife got certified, they used to be very good, but I have heard some negative reports over the last couple of years. The bigger town near Playa Hermosa is Playas Del Coco, for my taste I think the area around Flamingo is nicer, Tamarindo is close by if you need night life and shopping, a really nice place is Hotel Sugar Beach in Playa Potrero, just north of Flamingo last year it was in the $150/nt range.

Thank you guys for your input and sharing your knowledge.
I am leaning most towards Flamingo. Are there places to eat and hang out around the resort? Is it pretty easy to travel around the area?

It is pretty easy to get around the Flamingo area, and if looking for diving there then I would suggest diving with Buzosdeaventura. They can pick you up from the Flamingo area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom