Where to go for Divemaster internship? - Utila? Roatan? Elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flesner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to do a divemaster internship this winter. I'm currently leaning towards Utila, but want to see if anyone has any specific suggestions, or somewhere else to suggest. Some of the things I'm looking for:

* I'm far more interested in being in a beautiful setting than having a party scene.
* I have a science background, and would love to incorporate some of that.
* It would be nice to have things like mountains around too (this is the main hesitation I have about Utila).
* I tend to ask a lot of technical questions, so I think having a variety of instructors could be good. Or maybe a place that also does TekRec would be a good choice.
* If I can also learn some boating skills, that would be an extra bonus.
* I'd love to find a place that has some other older divemaster interns. I'm 42.
* Available accommodation is actually pretty important. I don't need anything fancy, but I would like a room of my own fairly close to the water, that's fairly reasonably priced.
* It's unlikely I'm actually going to become a dive professional. I'm looking to spend a month or so in a beautiful place, learning new things, doing something I love.

I'm looking forward to some good suggestions! Thanks in advance. :)

Carolyn

Costa Rica!!! I know I can tick the boxes above! Beautiful place, tecRec if you want to incorporate your science background would love to. Any questions please pm me!

I second the Costa Rica vote. Rocket Frog Divers is located near the Playas del Coco at a much quieter Playa Ocotal. You will do more diving than you can imagine, and will get all kinds of valuable industry experience in at the same time. The tico "pura vida" lifestyle is something you have to experience in your life! The weather in our winter is absolutely amazing too.. Never a cloud in the sky let alone rain!

I did my divermaster internship in Roatan in my early 40s. My instructor and her husband were just a few years younger than me. My instructor had spent years working for an airline and had a good amount of experience with customer service. I only mention that because for me it was helpful to have someone with whom I could relate well. I'm sure there are plenty of great younger instructors but for me it was nice to have someone close to my age.

* I'm far more interested in being in a beautiful setting than having a party scene.
* I have a science background, and would love to incorporate some of that.
* It would be nice to have things like mountains around too (this is the main hesitation I have about Utila).
* I tend to ask a lot of technical questions, so I think having a variety of instructors could be good. Or maybe a place that also does TekRec would be a good choice.
* If I can also learn some boating skills, that would be an extra bonus.
* I'd love to find a place that has some other older divemaster interns. I'm 42.
* Available accommodation is actually pretty important. I don't need anything fancy, but I would like a room of my own fairly close to the water, that's fairly reasonably priced.
* It's unlikely I'm actually going to become a dive professional. I'm looking to spend a month or so in a beautiful place, learning new things, doing something I love.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, :)

I’m confident Sabah, Borneo, has all the qualities you’ve listed for you to develop your passion for scuba diving and the underwater environment!

Our premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre is located on Gaya Island within the protected area of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park and is a mere 7-minute fast speedboat ride from Kota Kinabalu City Centre.
Our Head Office is located on the mainland at Kota Kinabalu Times Square, where we also have a Dive Shop offering all scuba diving and adventure activity equipment.

Learn to Dive - PADI 5 Star Dive & Adventure Centre on Gaya Island | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Dive Shop Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

The professional scuba diving internship programs we provide are amazing value for money and are inclusive of the dive training for your course.
For the PADI Divemaster we suggest for our candidates to enrol on the 1-month program to successfully complete your goals. It is not a problem to conduct the PADI Divemaster performance requirements in less time, however through our extensive experience teaching all levels of the PADI system of dive education, we encourage you to partake in the 1-month program to appreciate fully the real dive lifestyle.

Our professional scuba diving internship includes the high standard of quality dive training, Kota Kinabalu City Centre accommodation, transport logistics between your accommodation and our Gaya Island beach house.
During your time at the beach house, you are provided with a lunch, free flow beverages and snacks, the park and jetty fees, PADI materials for your PADI Divemaster, the invaluable knowledge gained through the observation of a dive operation such as ours.
However, the most attractive benefit is the UNLIMITED scuba diving within Tunku Abdul Rahman Park!

PADI Divemaster Internship | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

We also provide travel packages within Sabah to clients who are interested in exploring Sabah’s rainforests and the natural and historical attractions.
Sabah is famous for its natural landmark, Mount Kinabalu, and we offer a variety of packages for you to climb to the Low’s Peak summit to experience other adventures Borneo has to offer, other than scuba diving!
For our professional internship candidates we provide a discount on all of our travel packages!

Discover Borneo through our Sabah Travel Centre | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Our internship candidates are all very different ages, backgrounds, beliefs and they may not even speak the same language at all, however there is always a great atmosphere of enthusiasm between the interns, and with the island staff team too.
Add us as a friend on Facebook to receive updates on the daily activities our current internship candidates participate in, to get an idea of what you yourself will experience!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

And there is no such question too technical for our team! We love questions because it will develop our teaching abilities and make us more professional in our field of work as a result!
So we welcome any and all questions!

I look forward to questions you will have for me soon, Carolyn! :)

um... how about Hawaii?

We can set you up with all of your criteria and you don't even have to break out your passport. Check us out too, we defiantly provide a more personal approach to dive instruction.

Roatan.

I realise everyone will shoot me down, but Dahab in the Sinai is ideal. Contact Reef 2000. Believe me, once you are there you will not even know there is a political situation in Egypt. Fly to London, then onto Sharm and taxi from Sharm.

I realise everyone will shoot me down, but Dahab in the Sinai is ideal. Contact Reef 2000. Believe me, once you are there you will not even know there is a political situation in Egypt. Fly to London, then onto Sharm and taxi from Sharm.

Dahab is to European divers what Utila is to North American divers.

Costa Rica! see I am not the first to mention that!
Here at Rich Coast Diving we offer a great internship and even include a marine science program. We do shark, manta and turtel research programs and you will receive certifications in them as well.
send us a note and I'll send you all details
dive@richcoastdiving.com
Brenda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom