Malpelo (best time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike jj

owi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am considering going to Malpelo, on the Yemaya in 2015. My travel time options are late Dec 2014 through mid March 2015, or late June 2015 through mid Sept. 2015. I've done Socorro in Jan. so I am aware of cooler water and rougher sea's at that time. Any advice or comments would be appreciated

Thank You
Mike

I've been twice,
April - bait balls (ultra fantastic), Silkies, and Galapagos' in big numbers. The Silkies had just arrived. So many Galapagos' that I tried shooing them away to get better viewing of the Hammerheads.
August - Whale Sharks and Humpbacks. Some Silkies still present if you call them up and a few Galapagos'. Hammerheads again present.
Dec - Mar: dunno

Malpelo can vary a lot - even from week to week conditions can change dramatically but the general concensus is that April thru November are better periods than Dec thru March. Here is some input on the seasons that we have observed on our trips over the years.
Hammerheads: All year round. Scientists describe slightly bigger groups from January to April though we can not confirm this. We observe on all trips all year round schools of more than 150 to 300 individuals.

Silkies: big schools of Silkie sharks from 300 to 1000 from May to beginning August. Best months June and July

Sand Tiger "Monster shark":
when cold water. So from January to April, there is a 50% chance to see them but no guarantee. Normally they stay in 50 to 60 meters depth. We take only the very experienced divers to that depth.

Whale sharks: all year round, but best time July, August, and beginning of September

Other species: Free swimming moray eels all year round,
Galapagos sharks all year round, big schools of jacks, snappers and groupers all year round. Eagle Rays are very common in Malpelo all year round. Occasional visits by Humpbacks but quite rare, and even orcas have been seen here.

Water Temp: from January to April 26 C 70 27 C on surface and from 24 down to 16 C under Thermocline. Thermocline can start at 15 to 20 m
April to December 27/28 C on surface and 24 to 21 C under Thermocline. During this time Thermocline starts normally below 25 m or can even disappear completely.

Waves: calmest months March and April

Rain: dry season from 15 of December to beginning of May.
In this time mostly north wind
Rainy season: From May to December, mostly wind from south
normally it rains 2 or 3 hours a day then the sun comes out
There are also days with absolutely no rain. The rainiest month is November
You can see a video taken there in May which may give you some idea of Malpelo at its best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTpLYY4A2U&feature=youtu.be

Pretty well whenever you go it will be a great adventure and for those seeing this post and looking for a trip this September - due to a full charter cancelation, the Yemaya is offering some fantastic rates on their Sep 18-27 cruise. From $2780 + park fees. Should be a good time to be there.

Amazing video !
Dom@Dive Advice is that video is just from one trip? Is there anybody who has been both at Cocos Isl. and Malpelo to compare? We are group of friends - divers and wondering where to be our next trip / late 2015/ Cocos or Malpelo. We are looking for big staff,as well. Thank`s!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom