Best, easiest access, Spanish-speaking, off beaten path

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maize2112

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I have 6 days to dive in February and looking for reco's based upon...

• Spanish speaking: I know some Espanol and would love to practice.
  • Good diving: Probably Pacific/pelagic over Caribean/reef but either is ok.
  • Ease to get to: We've recently dove Cozumel and Roatan. What was great is you land and can be in the water in an hour. With limited vaca, I don't want to spend a couple days getting there.
  • Off beaten path: We like the 'local' scene and don't have an interest (or budget) for the all-inclusive resorts.

Both Cozumel and Roatan were cheap so I figure I'll be forking out more this time but need to keep it reasonable.

ANY insights appreciated! Thanks-

Taking all your very specific criteria as a whole, I think you may have already exhausted the current Caribbean possibilities. Best I can suggest is Utila, and that's a pretty good choice.

The Chicago Our World Underwater Dive Show February 27 - March 1, 2015 can help you plan the next one (after this) Home | Our World Underwater.

Panama, Try diving Coiba National Park in the Pacific.
Day trips usually depart out of Santa Catalina about a 6 hr drive from Panama City.
There are dive ops, such as Scuba Panama, in Panama City that can take you to both oceans, Pacific and the Caribbean. (they are only about 1.5 hours apart). I've dove with Clay the owner of Panama Divers.
I've dove with Herbie the owner of Scuba Coiba
I've met Glen the owner of Coiba Dive Center.

Wherever you choose, please post a trip report. :)

I would recommend Xcalak, Mexico with XTC Dive Center - XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico. It's a small village on the Mexico/Belize border. You can book a trip to Banco Chinchorro - Diving in Banco Chinchorro (weather allowing), dive their pristine reefs, and/or dive the cenotes. It's definitely off the beaten path and not too hard to get to by flying into Cancun, renting a car, and doing the 4-5 hr. drive down. Very reasonable places to stay (http://tierramaya.net.,http://casacarolina.net. or Costa de Cocos Resort - Xcalak, Mexico - Beauty and Tranquility at the End of the Road Less Traveled) if you don't mind the electricity being off most of the time (they run on generators)

+1 for Coiba Island and Scuba Coiba (Herbie Sunk). Coiba, on the Pacific side of Panama, meets all your criteria EXCEPT "ease to get to." From Panama City, you have to drive several hours, and once you get off the highway the roads are small and winding. The village of Santa Catalina, a laid-back surfer's hangout, is the embarkation point for Coiba Island trips, but it's a long way from Panama City. We rented a car in Panama City (driving in the city is nuts, by the way), but have to believe there are ways to arrange transport in a van if you prefer it and want to pay for that kind of service. There are a few reviews for Coiba here on SB. I left one on Tripadvisor. I would have posted it on SB, but Herbie encouraged a TA review, and gladly obliged because my wife and I had such a good trip.

Last edited:
Lorenzoid, when did you visit Sta Catalina?
I lived there 2005-2006, the road from Sona was being paved the year I lived there. Im sure it has grown.

Happy Diving!
Elena

Lorenzoid, when did you visit Sta Catalina?
I lived there 2005-2006, the road from Sona was being paved the year I lived there. Im sure it has grown.

Happy Diving!
Elena

We were there in August 2013. My Tripadvisor review.

We were amazed at how good the roads were--all paved and well marked. Someone told us that the good state of the roads might be influenced by it being where the president of Panama is from. It was our first trip to Panama, and we were quite impressed with the country. It's now on our list of candidates for places to retire to.

+1 for Xcalak. 4 1/2 hr drive from CUN on good roads and you are truly off the beaten path. They have some great local, uncrowded dive sites.

+1 for Costa Rica, the Catalinas are great, as is Cano. The southern part of the Pacific coast is really nice and it is a beautiful drive from San Jose on a good road now. I would plan on late February as the water can be quite cool with poor visibility in early Feb. in the Catalinas. If you go much later, it can get really hot and humid.

I would stay in the Flamingo or Potrero area to dive the Catalinas. We like Costa Rica Diving on the way into Flamingo. Hotel Sugar Beach in Potrero is quite nice.

Uvita or Ojochal are I think a better option for Cano than the closer area of Drake Bay. Drake Bay tends to be over priced for what you are getting. The only negative for Uvita or Ojochal is the long boat ride to get there. Mad About Diving in Uvita runs two or three tank trips to Cano. We have stayed at Jinetes De Osa and Corcovado Adventures tent camp, didn't dive from the tent camp and were very disappointed with Jinetes. There are so many places to stay in the Uvita-Ojochal area, our favorite is Club Fred in Ojochal. There are lots of places in both areas on VRBO and this is a great option. If you rent a place with a kitchen, be sure to buy groceries before you get to the coast, 30 miles inland will save you better than 50%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom