Costa Rica conditions in January and where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatdiveguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on doing a dive trip this January and my goal is to see big sea creatures. I was told that Bat Islands and Catalinas Islands off of Playas Del Coco is a good place to visit to see them. Can anyone provide some insight into the usual conditions there and what you can see in January and recommendations for a dive shop to use? If not Playas Del Coco, any other recommendations? Thanks in advanced!

The Papagayo winds can be an issue as well as cool currents from the north in January. We have done some great dives in the Catalinas at that time, but have also found very poor visibility at times. Isla Del Cano in the south, off the Osa Peninsula has much more reliable diving then. From the Uvita area its a 40 mike boat trip each way or you can stay in Drake Bay and its not so far by boat, but harder to get to.

I have been diving in the Playas del Coco / Playa Ocotal region this week.

There are at least 4 ops here: Rocket Frog, Rich Coast Diving, Deep Blue, Summer Salt. The first two will pick up divers staying in Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal or Playa Hermosa without charge (not sure about the final two). There are still more ops around Playa Flamingo and Tamarindo.

Conditions: I was told water temps are typically 72-75 F this time of year. We had two days of 80 then temps fell to 76 and 71. Sometimes you can stay above thermoclines, other times top to bottom is cold. Visibility varies wildly from 10 to 80 ft - we have had both on the same day in the same area, with lower vis being far more common.

Wildlife: Not sure what you include in "big creatures". White tips, turtles and various rays (e.g. spotted eagle, cownose, diamond rays) can be seen on local sites. Most people head to the Catalina Islands hoping to see a giant pacific manta but I'm not sure how frequently they are actually seen. In 2 Cat Isl trips (5 dives) I was on the overwhelming majority of divers saw 0 mantas. On 3 dives there were 0 mantas and on the other 2 dives there were 1 or 2 guests who caught a quick glimpse of a distant manta. No mantas were close enough for good photos or video. Any op can take you to any of these sites. There were 2 other boats of divers already in the water by the time we arrived.

Bull sharks are seen at 1 site at the Bat Islands ( Islas Murciélagos ). This time of year only Rocket Frog is running trips to Bats but getting a trip organized will require you to work, especially if you are travelling solo. A minimum of 4 divers are required and even though this is the most expensive trip RF offers, customers are left to find the divers. In our case, Rocket Frog had emails and a deposit weeks in advance from a diver who requested to join all trips to the Bat Isl or Cat Isl but despite multiple emails and a call, they didn't contact this diver when other divers were trying to find more people. If you really want to see bull sharks, make sure you plan enough dive days. One op said they are seen ~80% of the time. We saw some the first trip but 0 the next trip. Mantas can also appear at Bats, but not sure how frequently.

Experienced/advanced divers should know that Rocket Frog will limit your dive time to about 45 minutes. They will write in email that there are no bottom time limits in addition to your gas and NDL limits, but on the boat or at the shop you will be told there is a 45 minute limit or that you must stay with the group (even spouses diving as buddies) which is pulled up around 41 minutes to the safety stop - or potentially earlier when there are newer divers on board. You can try to battle for more dive time, but it is an exhausting and frequently futile process.

The ops usually aren't full and won't commit to dive sites much in advance so you might want to wait until you get here to meet them in person and hear where they are going when you are here.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom