Has anyone dove in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuzA

Reaction score
My husband and I are heading down on the 16th. We're going to be on the northwest side to surf and yak, so if you know of any great spots on the Pacific side, please speak up! Of course, we'll want to travel to the east side at some point, so all info. is welcome.

Thanks for responding!

SuzA

Thank you for the sites! I'm excited about them not only for getting a preview of which outfits we might go with in certain CR towns, but also 'cuz I'll be able to use them for future sites. Very helpful...thank you!

Does anyone have first hand experience diving in Costa Rica?

SuzA

Hi SuzA,

Well, for a combo of ecotourism & diving, CR ranks right up there. You should have a super time.

It's been a few years since I've been back, but my last trip report should still be reasonably accurate:

"Best & most convenient diving is on Gulf of Guanacaste Coast, off of Playa Hermosa. This is a 3 1/2 hour drive over bad road from San Jose (the capital) or a 40 minute plane ride into Liberia. Caribbean side of country has essentially no diving, although there some off Cano Island in the far SW.

Bill Beard’s (800-779-0055; billbeards@netrunner.net) does a great job at catering to all levels of divers. He was the granddaddy of recreational diving there & a great character, but he & Nadine have sold the op. New owners reportedly doing a great job, too. They have nice roomy boats, fun and helpful dive masters, and take care of your gear from arrival to departure -- excellent munchies and snorkeling opportunities during SI.

The conditions in this area vary wildly, often over a short period of time, particularly the viz. Also, this is eastern Pacific & not Caribbean diving, so don't expect colorful corals & sponges, lush reefs, water in the mid-80s & 100'+ viz. However, if you are happy with 15 (low end close to shore)-90 (high end out islands) foot visibility, warmish water, calm seas, nice beaches, friendly people, good food and reasonable prices, it's Kool. There is likelihood of seeing eagle rays, white tipped reef sharks, bulls sharks, & mobulae (small Pacific mantas). Occasional whale sharks. Topside, see the rain forest by aerial tram, drive through cloud forests to visit an active volcano, soak hot thermal springs and waterfalls, and raft the Rio Pacuare. Your hotel can handily arrange all of this.

'In shore' sites are 20 minute boat rides, while 'offshore' sites, "Bats and Cats" (Catalina Island is an hour away, and "The Bats" is a two hour ride away). The offshore sites are more expensive, however, the caliber of diving was better further off shore.

If you want isolation & really great wilderness activity, go south to the Osa Peninsula & dive Cano Island (similar to the "Cats & Bats" mentioned above). Go during dry season - January to September. Check out the La Paloma Resort (800-351-5041; fax 209-532-1979) for the experience of a lifetime -- its like living in the jungle.

It is a safe, varied country with much to see and do. People are friendly. A little Spanish helps but is not necessary."

Have a blast.

DocVikingo

What great information! To start, I'm glad to hear we can get away without speaking Spanish. I've got a cheat sheet so I can ask where the bathroom is without getting a response that sends me to the kitchen, but that's about it. :^)

Too, it seems like we're going to have to check out Playa Hermosa. The same day you responded to my query, another guy told my husband about the same place. I have to say that I'm so looking forward to diving in warm water after having learned in the 45 degree Farenheit waters off the coast of Vancouver, B.C. Since it is in the Pacific rather than the Carribean waters, do people wear body suits in, or is it warm enough to do without? (I'm assuming wet suits would be too much). We'll give Bill Beard's a call and let you know how everything went with the new owners if we go with them.

It makes sense that the vis is better the further you go out, considering the rip tides that must stir up tons of silt. We're trying to make this trip as inexpensive as possible (camping at times, etc.), but I suppose it would be a waste of dough if we went diving and couldn't see. Hopefully we'll head out to at least one of the islands for a dive.

I wrote down the essentials from your response and they're coming down to Costa Rica with us. Thank you again for your response. I'm going to make a posting when I get back to share our experience. Until then, all good things to you,

SuzA

Hi SuzA,

I am here but to serve.

Stay flexible & you should have a most excellent time.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom